The Best peach cobbler recipe is made with fresh, juicy peaches and a sweet cobbler batter. It is simple to make, quick to prepare, and tastes amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This peach cobbler recipe with fresh peaches is the perfect easy recipe to bake when peaches are in season! But if you don’t have fresh peaches or it isn’t peach season, you can use frozen peaches. This is probably one of my favorite peach dessert recipes.
You simply melt the butter, pour the batter over the butter, then place the peaches on top. As it bakes the batter rises over the peaches.
Resulting in juicy peaches and a gooey, sweet, and buttery topping. When you serve it warm with vanilla ice cream it is absolutely incredible any time of the year!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Butter: Use one stick or ½ cup of unsalted butter.
- Flour: Use 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Gluten-free all-purpose flour may also be used.
- Sugar: The cup of sugar is divided to sweeten both the peaches and the batter. ¾ cup of sugar is used in the batter and ¼ cup of sugar is used to sweeten the peaches. If you have tart peaches you can add a little more to the peaches.
- Baking powder: Adding 1 teaspoon helps the batter to rise over the peaches.
- Salt: Just a pinch helps to cut the sweetness and enhances the flavor.
- Milk: I used 1 cup of whole milk, but plant-based milk may be used. Full-fat milk is recommended for the best flavor and texture.
- Peaches: Use fresh or frozen peeled and sliced peaches. You could use canned peaches but I recommend fresh or frozen, if available. I used 6 medium peaches which is equal to approximately 1.5 pounds of frozen peaches.
How to Easily Peel Peaches:
Blanch and Shock (Recommended)
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Pour water into another bowl and add a few ice cubes to it. Set it next to the stove.
- Carefully lower peaches into the boiling water one at a time. Boil the peaches for 60 seconds.
- Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon, then immediately place them in the prepared ice bath. Let the peaches cool in the ice bath before removing them.
- Peel the peach skin off using your fingers. The peels should come off easily.
Other Peach Peeling Methods
Use a vegetable peeler or a paring knife to peel the peaches. Make sure you peel the whole peaches before slicing.
How to Make Homemade Peach Cobbler?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cube the butter and add it to the 9×13-inch baking dish. Place it in the oven to allow the butter to melt in the baking dish. Once melted, remove it from the oven.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, ¾ cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk until well combined. Pour the batter evenly over the melted butter.
- In a bowl, combine sliced peaches and ¼ cup of sugar. Stir gently until all the peaches are coated with sugar. Spoon the peaches evenly over the batter but do not mix (the batter will rise over the peaches as it bakes).
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until golden and bubbly. Let it cool slightly and serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Variations on Peach Cobbler:
- Use frozen, slightly thawed peaches if fresh peaches are not available.
- Adding cinnamon gives the peach cobbler a slightly different flavor.
- Add A squeeze of lemon juice to prevent them from oxidizing and give them a slightly tangy flavor.
- Sometimes I like to mix in a few blueberries for a change.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
If you need to make this old-fashioned peach cobbler recipe ahead of time, let it cool completely, cover it, and refrigerate it for 2-3 days. Warm the cobbler at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until warm throughout.
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, unsalted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 medium fresh, or frozen peaches, peeled and sliced
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cube the butter and place it inside the baking dish. Put the dish inside the oven to allow the butter to melt. Once melted, remove it from the oven.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, ¾ cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the milk until combined. Pour the batter evenly over the melted butter.
- Place the peeled sliced peaches and remaining ¼ cup sugar in a bowl and stir until all peach slices are coated with sugar.
- Spoon the peaches evenly over the batter but do not mix (the batter will rise over the peaches as it bakes).
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until golden and bubbly.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 8.6gSaturated Fat: 5.2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 32.8gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 24.8gProtein: 2.5g