This Nova Scotia Blueberry Cream Cake is a delicious dessert that is both easy and fun to make. The sweet and tangy flavor of blueberries combined with the creamy richness of cream creates a mouth-watering treat that is perfect for any occasion.
Whether this homemade blueberry cake is for a special celebration or just a casual dessert, this easy Blueberry Cream Cake recipe is sure to be a hit with family and friends. So why not try making one today and enjoy a slice of sweet, satisfying heaven?
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Blueberries – fresh blueberries are great for this, especially when they’re in season
- Sour cream – adds a great tangy flavor reminiscent of cheesecake. You can also substitute it with greek yogurt!
- Egg yolks – these are important to mix in with the sour cream in order to add more richness to your cake!
- Vanilla extract – adds a lovely flavor to compliment the blueberries, orange or lemon extract would also work very well.!
How to make a Blueberry Cream Cake?
In a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder. After everything is fully mixed together, cut up the butter into pieces and incorporate it into the dry mix until it looks sandy. Mix in the egg until fully incorporated into the dough.
Pat the mixture into your greased springform pan to form a crust. Pour the fresh blueberries over the crust. Mix together the sour cream, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla extract, and pour into the pan. Bake at 375F for 1 hour.
How to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan?
- A spring form pan is very important for clean removal since you cannot invert this cake to remove it.
- Generously grease all surfaces of your pan, otherwise, the crust at the bottom will get stuck
- Use an offset spatula or butter knife to loosen the edges and bottom before removing them from the pan.
- You could also use a small round of parchment paper to line the bottom
Tips for making the best Blueberry Cake:
- Make sure you’re not using frozen blueberries because of the increased water content it’ll create more liquid
- Do not forget to add egg yolks into your mixture to make a more silky and rich filling
- Let the cake cool fully before cutting into it to allow for the filling to set in order to have clean slices
How to store Blueberry Cake:
You can store this blueberry cake in the fridge in an airtight container or on a plate with plastic wrap for 1 week
You can freeze it in an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap tightly for 3 weeks!
Nova Scotia Blueberry Cream Cake
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F
Making the Crust
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder so that they are thoroughly combined
- Cut up the stick of butter into small cubes and incorporate into the dry mixture using a fork or your hands to create a crumbly mixture. then add Add in the egg until it resembles a crumbly dough
- Pat gently into your greased springform pan to create an even crust
Making the Filling
- Pour the blueberries over the crust in an even layer
- Mix together the sour cream, vanilla extract, sugar, and egg yolks
- Pour over the blueberries and create an even layer
- 375F for 60 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned
- Remove from the oven and let cool
- Use an offset spatula or a butter knife to loosen the edges from the sides