After the holiday season, you are probably tired of turning on your oven. I don’t blame you! But that doesn’t mean you don’t want to make delicious treats for your friends and family. These chocolate oatmeal bars are the perfect sweet treat and easy to make. The only thing easier than making these no-bake bars is eating them!
The combination of chocolate and peanut butter is a no-brainer, and throw in a warm sugary, buttery oat mixture, and it is just about irresistible.
I will leave it up to you as to how many of these no-bake chocolate oatmeal bars you sneak before sharing them with others.
Ingredients & Variations
- 1 cup butter – I recommend using unsalted butter so you can control the amount of salt in this recipe
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed – try to use dark brown sugar if you have it to get a deeper caramel flavor
- 1 tsp vanilla extract – the vanilla will cook with the butter and sugar to create a delicious mixture
- 3 cups rolled oats – I like to use the large oats, but any kind will do
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon – cinnamon brings a nice warmth into this recipe. Perfect for colder weather!
- ¼ tsp salt – a touch of salt helps to balance out the sweetness
- 1 cup chocolate chips – you can use milk, semi-sweet or dark chocolate in this recipe
- ¾ cup crunchy peanut butter – the little bits of peanuts add a nice crunch. Any kind of nut butter can work if there is a peanut allergy.
Tips to make the best Chocolate Oat Bars
- To prevent your parchment paper from sliding around when adding your layers, I like to spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray then lay my parchment down. This works as an adhesive to keep the parchment in place.
- Once you’ve added in your oats and cinnamon, make sure to keep stirring as you cook to prevent the oats from burning.
- If you want to get fancy with presentation, try topping these bars with crushed peanuts or chocolate chips after you drizzle the chocolate mixture.
Storing and freezing chocolate oatmeal bars
I like to eat these bars right out of the fridge. You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-week, or on the counter for up to 5-days.
If you want to freeze them, put them in a freezer bag and store them for up to 3-months. Thaw before serving.
Easy No-Bake Chocolate Oat Bars
The only thing easier than making these no-bake bars is eating them!
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup crunchy peanut butter
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing some to hang over the sides. Set aside
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over low heat until the butter has melted, and the sugar has dissolved
- Stir in the oats, cinnamon, and salt and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly
- Transfer half of the oat mixture to the prepared baking pan and press down to create an even layer
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter on high in increments of 30 seconds, stirring between each increment
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto the bottom oat layer, leaving a little bit leftover to drizzle at the end. Top with the remaining oat mixture and press down gently. Drizzle the remaining chocolate mixture over top of the bars
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until set. Cut into bars.