If you are a steak and potatoes kind of person, this is the ultimate recipe for you. Tender garlic butter steak bites with fragrant pan-fried potatoes infused with fresh herbs make this one of the best dinner ideas with steak tips ever.
Ingredients you’ll need
All you need is one skillet to make these amazing steak bites and potatoes and in less than 30 minutes, dinner is done.
- butter. When you saute steak in butter, the most creamy and delicious flavors develop.
- olive oil. Just a little helps prevent the butter from burning and turning brown at high temperatures.
- baby potatoes. I like to use yellow and red potatoes to make my dish look better. Some potatoes I’ll cut in half and others into four depending on the size. What you need is for all your potato bites to be roughly the same size.
- garlic. I love a good amount of freshly minced garlic. I used three large cloves, finely minced.
- fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, and parsley make this dish fragrant and delicious.
- red pepper flakes just for the little kick they provide. If you are serving this to children, you might want to omit it.
- sirloin steak, cut into one-inch cubes. You can use any other type of steak you like or have in your freezer, but the sirloin is the most tender.
- salt and pepper to taste. Remember to season the potatoes as well as the steak bites.
What other cuts of steak can I use?
To me, the best cut of beef to make garlic butter steak bites is sirloin. If price is not an issue, you can definitely use Ribeye or New York steak. If you are looking for a more economical cut of beef, you could use Round steak or Flank steak. They will turn out delicious as well.
How to make garlic butter steak bites?
They are so easy to make, you will have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Prep all your ingredients before you start cooking because you want your skillet to be hot and not cool down if they’re not ready. Cut the potatoes and chop the herbs and garlic before you start cooking.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add half a tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the potatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, and herbs, and pan-fry them until tender but not mushy (around 5-6 minutes). You want them to still have a bit of a bite to them. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Remove the cooked potatoes and place them on a plate.
- Discard any pieces of burnt garlic and herbs from the skillet and turn the heat to high until you see a bit of smoke coming off it.
- Pour in another half tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter and as soon as they melt and heat up, add the sirloin cubes. Do not move them around too much so they can sear properly. Cook them until brown on all sides and to your preferred level of doneness. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the potatoes in the skillet with the beef and cook for a minute more until they are heated through. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and thyme on top.
What to serve with steak bites?
All you need to turn garlic butter steak bites into a complete meal is a veggie dish or a side salad and dessert.
Here are a few ideas from my recipes: why not serve a bowl of the best broccoli cheese soup as a starter, a delicious pasta salad recipe as a side dish, and a chocolate peanut butter no-bake dessert? Sounds amazing to me!
Garlic butter steak bites come together very quickly, with just a handful of ingredients, but taste like heaven!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 lb baby red and yellow potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ -½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, depending on your taste
- 1- 1 ¼ lb sirloin steak cut into one inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt one tablespoon of butter with ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted, add the potatoes, garlic, chopped herbs, and red pepper flakes. Cook them for about 5-6 mins or until tender but still firm. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the potatoes and place them on a plate.
- Discard any pieces of burnt garlic and herbs from the skillet and turn the heat up to high. Once the skillet starts smoking a little bit, pour in the other ½ tablespoon of olive oil and add the second tablespoon of butter.
- Add the steak bites to the skillet and let them sear for about a minute without moving them around so they sear nicely.
- Keep cooking them until they are brown on all sides and they reach your preferred level of doneness (between 4-6 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the potatoes to the skillet and cook for another minute until they are heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 81mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gProtein: 27g