There’s nothing quite like a warm, moist piece of homemade cornbread. With an easy cornbread recipe like this one, it’s easy to prepare in just 30 minutes. All you need are a few simple ingredients and you can have the perfect side dish for any meal. Whether you’re veering towards savory or sweet, this easy-to-make recipe will prove to be delicious every single time.
It might even become your secret weapon at Sunday dinners with family and friends! Don’t wait to try it tonight – there’s no excuse to not get baking!
Making homemade cornbread can be incredibly rewarding, especially when done with just the right amount of effort and ingredients!
- Cornmeal: is the star of the show; it gives that signature cornbread texture and flavor, making it irresistible.
- Milk: The recipe calls for whole milk, but you can use any milk you prefer or you have available.
- Vegetable oil: It not only helps render a pleasantly spongy texture but unlocks additional moisture inside and outside.
- Eggs: For the lightest, fluffiest cornbread, make sure to use large eggs.
- Baking powder: It helps make the cornbread rise beautifully in the oven.
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour can be replaced with a gluten-free alternative.
How to make Cornbread from scratch?
Making homemade cornbread from scratch is a delicious and economical way to add homemade goodness to your meal.
This cornbread recipe is super easy. To start, combine cornmeal and milk in a bowl and let this sit for a few minutes. Then add the other ingredients, flour, vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, and baking powder before stirring everything together.
Bake in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for around 30-35 minutes and you’ll end up with a delicious warm homemade meal!
Topping ideas for cornbread:
Cornbread is the ultimate sidekick – its versatility allows it to be a part of any meal! Take your basic butter and honey combo for a classic pairing that’s perfect for any occasion.
Want to mix it up? Top your bread with anything from cream cheese to chopped chili peppers and everything in between!
Cranberries and walnuts also make a delightful combination, while the cherry jam is always a great choice for a sweeter taste.
Feeling creative? Try making your own butter mixtures using herbs, spices, or whatever ingredients strike your fancy! Whatever you choose, there’s no wrong (or right) way to top off your cornbread.
Can you freeze Cornbread?
Yes, you can definitely freeze cornbread! If you find yourself with extra and want to keep them fresh for later, it couldn’t be simpler. There are two main ways to freeze this homemade cornbread: either pre-sliced or in bulk. To pre-slice, let your cornbread cool completely before cutting it into pieces that fit into an airtight container.
If you have a large loaf or an entire pan of cornbread, wrap it entirely in cling wrap before storing it in the freezer. To defrost and serve your frozen cornbread when the time comes, simply remove it from its container and microwave until thawed through–then enjoy!
What to Make with Cornbread?
Cornbread is a versatile delight that can be used to make meals both savory and sweet. This cornbread recipe is perfect for any meal. You can start the day with freshly-baked cornbread topped with honey or jam, or use it as a side to any main meal.
Cornbread stuffing is an excellent option for special dinners like Thanksgiving, by adding all the autumn spices.
For a sweet treat, bake some delicious cornbread crumbles and top it off with brown sugar, maple syrup, and your favorite ice cream!
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 234½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the cornmeal and milk in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the cornmeal mixture, eggs, and oil and mix until smooth.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cornbread for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 9gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 6g