The best thing about stir fries is that they can be cooked in just a few minutes. You can get this black pepper beef and cabbage stir fry on the table in 30 minutes and it is the perfect recipe for meal prep
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Ground beef. I like to use lean ground beef to avoid any excess fat
- Garlic is a staple in Asian-style meals
- Sesame seed and vegetable oil for flavor and stir-frying
- Cabbage is a very underrated vegetable. I love it because it is very versatile and low in calories
- Red bell pepper for flavor as well as for visuals. It makes this meal look and taste amazing
- Low sodium soy sauce to flavor the dish
- Rice vinegar adds a little acidity that balances out the flavors in this stir fry
- Black pepper and red pepper flakes give this dish a robust flavor
- Cornstarch mixed with a little water will thicken the sauce
- Green onions for garnish and freshness.
Beef and Cabbage variations:
- Snow peas add crunch and are really great for stir-fries
- Add broccoli and julienned carrots for a more traditional stir fry
- Bamboo shoots and baby corn taste great on stir fries as well
- You can use sliced steak or chicken instead of ground beef
- Adding a touch of Hoisin sauce gives stir fry a slightly different flavor
- You can easily make a sweet-and-sour stir fry by adding a touch of ketchup and honey
- Shrimp also taste amazing in stir-fries. I like adding sliced onion, green and red bell pepper, baby corn, and bamboo shoots as well
How to make beef and cabbage stir fry?
Have all your veggies prepped before you start, because this dish comes together really quickly.
- Heat the sesame seed and vegetable oils in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook until there is no pink left in it.
- Throw in the shredded cabbage, half of the sliced green onions, and sliced red bell pepper, and cook until they start to soften up about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and add the black pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Make a slurry by dissolving the cornstarch in ½ cup of water. Pour it into the wok and continue cooking until the sauce has thickened. Serve over rice and top with the remaining sliced green onions and fresh cilantro (optional).
What to serve with beef and cabbage?
Typically, it is served over white rice, but if you want fancier rice, try my Garlic Butter Rice Recipe. I think this meal needs a fresh-tasting dessert like The Best Lemon Brownies with Glaze or my amazing Creamy Lemon Squares to counterpart the salty flavors of stir fry.
Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ head of cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced and divided
- Prep your veggies
- Heat the sesame seed and vegetable oils in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the garlic for about 30 seconds
- Add the ground beef and cook until no pink is left in it. Drain any excess fat.
- Throw in the shredded cabbage, red bell pepper, and half of the green onions. Cook until the veggies start to soften, about 5-7 mins
- Pour in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and add the black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for another two minutes
- Make a slurry by dissolving the cornstarch in ½ cup of water. Pour it into the wok and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes more. Season with salt if needed. Serve with the remanining green onions on top