Lemon brownies are a perfect twist on traditional brownies. This lemon brownies recipe creates the most delicious, melt-in-your-mouth brownie texture, but with a light lemon flavor. The glaze creates a perfect top layer that adds an extra sweet note which makes these even more irresistible. While these would be great all year long, they are a perfect dessert to bring to a spring or summer picnic.
Ingredients for Lemon Brownies
For the Brownie Base:
- Butter; this recipe calls for one cup of regular unsalted butter. Make sure you leave it out for 1-2 hours before you start so it is soft and ready to be creamed.
- Sugar; you will need one and a half cups of r granulated white sugar for these brownies. You can use a bit less if you don’t like overly sweet desserts.
- Lemon zest; you’ll need to use a zester to zest one entire lemon, which will enhance that amazing lemon flavor.
- Lemon juice; this recipe calls for two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, you can squeeze your lemon after you zest it.
- Eggs; you’ll need 4 whole eggs for the brownie batter.
- All-purpose flour; this recipe uses one and a half cups of all-purpose flour. Be sure to use all-purpose because others may not make the same brownie-like texture. Cake flour makes a softer crumb which will not turn out as it should.
- Salt; a half teaspoon of regular table salt is also added to balance out the sweetness.
For the Glaze:
- Powdered sugar; 1 cup of powdered sugar is the base ingredient for the glaze. Please don’t substitute powdered sugar with granulated sugar. Powdered sugar dissolves immediately so it makes the perfect ingredient for the glaze.
- Lemon juice; you will need two more tablespoons of lemon juice for the glaze.
- Lemon zest; you will also need 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. . Depending on the size of your lemons, this will take about 2 lemons.
How to make Lemon Brownies?
These brownies are very simple to make. . You will start by beating the butter and sugar together until creamy. It is recommended to use a handheld or stand mixer, but you can get the job done by hand, it’s just a lot more work. Once those are creamy you’ll add the eggs, lemon juice, and zest and again mix it to a creamy texture.
Next, throw in the flour and salt and beat until combined. Pour the batter into a greased 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. While they are baking, make the glaze and pour it over the hot lemon bars.
How to make the Lemon Glaze Brownies?
By mixing lemon juice and zest with powdered sugar, you make the most amazing lemony glaze. Powdered sugar dissolves immediately into the lemon juice, so the consistency of the glaze will be perfectly creamy and pourable.
Can you freeze Lemon Brownies?
Yes, like many other lemon desserts this freeze well once cut into squares and stored in an airtight freezer container. You can freeze them for 2-3 months.
Make ahead and storage tips:
this recipe will last for 3-4 days at room temperature when stored in an airtight container. It is not recommended to make the batter before baking as the composition could degrade before it goes into the oven and results in a flat, less flavorful brownie. Lemon juice turns bitter if let to stand for too long without baking, so unfortunately you can’t make them ahead of time.
For the glaze:
For the glaze: