Don’t let the name fool you. Black pepper chicken is not a spicy dish. In fact, it is an Asian-inspired dish with notes of black pepper, but by no means does it overpower the dish.
This easy one-pot black pepper chicken meal is not only delicious but so convenient.
Who doesn’t want to wash just one pot? I, for one, hate to wash pots and pans, but on the other hand, I love to eat great-tasting food. Myfamily loves Asian-inspired dishes, and one of their favorites is this chicken with black pepper sauce.
“The full recipe with ingredients can be found in the recipe card below.”
How To Make Black Pepper Chicken?
- The first thing we need to do is marinate the chicken. To do this, mix 1 ½ tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 ½ tablespoon of white vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of honey in a medium-sized bowl. Add the chicken, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 mins to 2 hours. The longer, the better.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil plus 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. When hot, saute the minced garlic and freshly grated ginger for about a minute. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through about 4 minutes.
- Mix in the red bell pepper, sliced onion, snow peas, and black pepper. Cook for another 4 minutes.
To thicken the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the remaining soy sauce and vinegar with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch until well dissolved. Add this slurry to the pan and cook for one more minute until the sauce has thickened.
What To Serve with Black Pepper Chicken?
I think this chicken deserves a big bowl of freshly made white rice to absorb all that wonderful sauce. You can also serve it with brown rice, but to me, nothing beats fluffy white rice. That is all these dish needs, and maybe some matcha ice cream for dessert!
- Make sure the oils are hot before adding the garlic and ginger and do not cook them for more than a minute, or it might burn.
- If you feel the sauce is thick, add a bit of water (start with a tablespoon).
- If you don’t like snow peas, you can add green bell pepper or even baby corn.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons of white vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup of snow peas, tips removed
- ½ teaspoon of cornstarch
- For the marinade: mix 1 ½ tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 ½ tablespoon of white vinegar, and honey in a medium-sized bowl. Add the chicken, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 mins to two hour
- In a large skillet, heat the olive and sesame oils, and saute the minced garlic and grated ginger for about a minute. Add the chicken along with the juices and cook until done about 4 minutes. Throw in the veggies and black pepper, and cook for another 4-5 minute
- Mix the remaining 1 ½ tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 ½ tablespoon of vinegar with the cornstarch until it is dissolved and add it to the skillet. Cook for one more minute until the sauce thickens