This recipe can make a convert out of anybody that doesn’t like Brussels sprouts. This cheesy Brussels sprout bake has a secret ingredient that makes it unique. Gruyere cheese.
I know it can be pricy, but it is so tasty! The sauce in this Brussels sprouts with cheese casserole is creamy with the intense flavors of bacon, cheddar, and gruyere!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Bacon: cooked until crispy and crumbled. You can use Real Bacon Bits instead
- Butter: to saute the shallots, garlic, and Brussels sprouts
- Shallots and garlic: provide aroma and flavor to the casserole
- Cayenne pepper and mustard powder: give this casserole spice and depth of flavor
- Heavy cream: is the base for the sauce
- Sharp white cheddar and gruyere cheese: melt on top for a crispy golden layer
- Brussels sprouts: 2 lbs, cleaned and halved
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Casserole?
Brussels sprouts with cheese come together quickly and in just a few simple steps:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the shallots and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, and mustard powder. Mix in the heavy cream.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle cheddar, gruyere, and crumbled bacon on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheeses are golden brown.
Brussels Sprouts Casserole Ahead of Time:
You can follow all the steps to make this delicious Brussels sprouts casserole, up until the baking. Mix in the heavy cream, transfer to a baking dish, sprinkle the cheese and bacon on top, and cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate overnight and bake the next day. You can also bake it until the cheeses melt, but not brown too much. They will brown a little more when you reheat the casserole.
Let it cool down completely and refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap. Reheat the next day until the cheese layer is nicely browned.
Brussels Sprouts Casserole Storage Tips
- To Store: store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat: you can reheat the leftovers in the microwave or in the oven. If using the oven, reheat in a 350F oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through. If the cheese is browning too much, cover it with foil.
- To Freeze: let the casserole cool down completely and store it in an airtight container or cover it with two layers of plastic wrap and one layer of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Easy Brussels Sprouts Casserole Recipe
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (or 4 tablespoons of Real Bacon Bits)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sharp white cheddar, shredded
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the shallots and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the halved Brussels sprouts and cook until tender, about 10 minutes
- Season with salt, freshly ground pepper, cayenne, and mustard powder. Mix in the heavy cream
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle the crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar, and Gruyere cheese on top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and golden brown