Do you have to feed a lot of people, and you don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen forever making breakfast? Bake a breakfast potato casserole! It is quick and delicious.
All you have to do is chop onion and bell pepper, cook them with Italian sausage, mix this with beaten eggs and frozen hash brown potatoes, add shredded cheese and stick it in the oven.
It cooks by itself, and you get to feed 8 to 10 people at the same time. This cheesy potato breakfast casserole is a winner.
You can even make some of it ahead of time if you brown the sausage with the veggies the night before, all you have to do is mix everything in the morning, and your breakfast casserole with potatoes will be ready in about one hour.
How To Make Breakfast Potato Casserole?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Using a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage with the chopped onion until there is no pink left. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beaten eggs, milk, 2 cups of cheese, the red and green bell peppers, and the diced hash brown potatoes.
- Add the cooled Italian sausage to the egg mixture, season with salt and pepper, and pour into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the egg is all set in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and add the remaining cup of shredded cheese evenly on top of the casserole.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Making Ahead Of Time:
If you want to make this casserole ahead of time, you can do it two ways. First, you can cook the Italian sausage with the onions the night before, mix everything together in the morning and bake it.
You can also assemble the casserole the night before, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate it and bake it the next day.
- If you feel the casserole is browning and the egg is still not set, cover it with foil and continue cooking until the egg is done.
- You can add more veggies to the casserole, like chopped mushrooms or broccoli.
- If you don’t want to use sausage, you can add cubed ham to your casserole.
Cheesy Breakfast Potato Casserole