Sometimes I like to experiment with special Italian pasta recipes. If you want something different than the usual tomato or cream-based pasta dishes, please try this one. Italian drunken noodles are not overly “saucy” but are super moist and very tasty.
Why Do They Call Them Drunken Noodles?
These are the Italian version of a Thai dish called “Pad kee mao.” Italian drunken noodles are a fusion of the Thai dish using Italian spices.
The Thai version uses wide rice noodles instead of egg noodles or pappardelle, and some say it got its name because people consume it after a night of drinking, and it is made with anything in the fridge.
Others say that American troops couldn’t pronounce the name during the Vietnam War and made them sound drunk when they said it.
How To Make Drunken Noodles?
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven or large skillet, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil and brown the Italian sausage crumbling as it cooks. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining olive oil and saute the sliced onion, bell pepper, and minced garlic for 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in ½ cup of white wine and simmer until almost all wine has evaporated.
- Add the Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, salt, pepper, and diced tomatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the noodles according to package instructions and drain.
- Return the cooked sausage to the skillet and add the chopped parsley and cooked egg noodles. Toss everything to combine and serve while hot.
- Be sure to crumble the sausage as you brown it. You want to have sausage in every bite.
- The wine must be reduced until almost all of it is gone. That way, the alcohol is evaporated, but the flavor remains.
- Do not overcook the noodles. You want them al dente so they can hold the sauce and sausage.
If you like the more traditional Italian recipes, this easy Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe will surely be up your alley. If you like casseroles, please try my Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole, it’s very hearty and delicious. And if you’re looking for a special occasion dish, Shrimp Alfredo Bake Recipe is the one!
Italian Drunken Noodles
Different than the usual tomato or cream-based pasta dishes!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup orange bell pepper
- ¼ cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup white wine
- 1- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 oz egg noodles
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or large skillet, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil and brown the Italian sausage. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil and saute the onion, bell peppers, and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes
- Pour in the white wine and reduce by half
- Add the diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the sausage to the pot and add the chopped parsley. Cook for 5 more minutes and keep warm while cooking the noodles, according to the package instructions. Drain the noodles and add them to the pot. Toss to combine and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 16gCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 19g
Friday 28th of April 2023
Made this dish a few times. It’s one of my favorites.