In this recipe, “easy” is the keyword. If you are a fan of one-pot meals, you’ll love making this easy chili recipe for the whole family. Once you brown the ground beef, all you have to do is add the rest of the ingredients, simmer it for about 30 to 45 minutes, and you’re done.
This is a perfect meal to make ahead and freeze. It is great to have it already made for those days when you don’t have time to cook or bring something to a potluck dinner party.
It makes a great appetizer when served with chips or a fabulous dinner over white rice.
How Do You Make Good Homemade Chili?
- In a large dutch oven or pot, over medium-high heat, cook the meat, onion, and garlic until no pink is left on the meat. Crumble the meat as you cook it.
- Add the drained kidney and pinto beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green and yellow bell peppers, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pot. Give everything a mix and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes. If you feel it is becoming too thick, add a bit of water.
What To Serve with Chili?
Chili is great for serving over white rice, but you can also serve it over nachos with corn tortilla chips.
You can use it to make chili dogs (hotdogs with chili on top), as a topping for baked potatoes, as a filling for hard shell tacos served with shredded lettuce and cheddar, and topped with sour cream, or even over french fries if you want to make loaded fries.
- Keep an eye on your chili and stir it every 10-15 minutes to ensure it doesn’t need a little bit of water.
- If you are serving this to children, skip the cayenne pepper.
- Check the seasoning before serving it, and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1- 10 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a medium-sized Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat, cook meat, onion, and garlic until no pink is left in the meat
- Add all the other ingredients to the dutch oven. Mix everything together. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour.