This is what Mexican comfort food looks like. There is nothing more comforting for the soul than warm albondigas swimming in a delicious beef and tomato-based broth with pieces of perfectly cooked carrots and potatoes.
Albondigas recipes are a common thing. Let’s face it, we all have seen numerous meatball recipes, but this albondigas soup recipe really hits the spot.
Drizzled with lime juice and topped with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado, it really doesn’t get any better. This albondigas recipe is made even more special by adding cumin and coriander to the meat.
Love Mexican food? Take a look at these other amazing recipes:
- Easy Beefy Mexican Rice Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Crockpot
- Easy Shrimp Burrito Recipe
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Casserole Recipe
How To Make Albondigas Soup?
- Make the base for the soup by combining the beef broth with the salsa.
- Add the sliced carrots and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook for about 15 mins or until the veggies are tender.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, cumin, coriander, dried onion flakes, dried parsley, and salt.
- Divide it into 1-inch balls using your hands. Bring the soup to a boil again and carefully drop the albondigas one by one into the pot.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until the albondigas are cooked through.
What Toppings For Albondigas Soup?
The perfect toppings for this soup are diced avocado, fresh chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and jalapenos if you like it on the spicy side. Fried tortilla strips are also great.
Make-Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
This amazing soup will keep perfectly fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days. So you can make it ahead of time and reheat it when you are ready to serve it.
You can freeze it too, but remember to let it cool completely before putting it into airtight containers and into the fridge for up to 4 days or into the freezer for up to 4 months. Thaw the soup in the fridge and reheat it in a pot on the stovetop.
- 1 quart beef broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1- 16 oz jar of salsa (mild, medium, or hot)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried onion flakes
- Lemon wedges, fresh cilantro, and avocado to serve
- In a medium-sized stockpot or Dutch oven, pour the chicken broth and add the sliced carrots, diced potatoes, and salsa. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 15 mins.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place the ground beef, breadcrumbs, cumin, coriander, parsley, dried onion flakes, salt, and milk. Combine all ingredients using your hand and form into 1-inch balls.
- Bring the soup to a boil again and add the albondigas one by one. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 more minutes or until the albondigas are cooked through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 11gCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 31g