This is what Mexican comfort food looks like. There is nothing more comforting for the soul than warm albondigas swimming in a delicious beef and tomato-based broth with pieces of perfectly cooked onions and potatoes.
Albondigas recipes are a common thing. Let’s face it, we all have seen numerous meatball recipes, but this albondigas soup recipe really hits the spot.
Drizzled with lime juice and topped with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado, it really doesn’t get any better. This albondigas recipe is made even more special by adding cumin and coriander to the meat.
How To Make Albondigas Soup?
- Make the base for the soup by combining the beef broth with the salsa.
- Add the sliced carrots and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for about 15 mins or until the veggies are tender.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, cumin, coriander, dried onion flakes, onion flakes, dried parsley, and salt.
- Mix everything well and form it into 1 inch balls using your hands. Bring the soup to a boil again and carefully drop the albondigas one by one into the pot.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until the albondigas are cooked through.
What Toppings For Albondigas Soup?
The perfect toppings for this soup are diced avocado, fresh chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and jalapenos if you like it on the spicy side. If you want to go Mexican, all the way, you might even add some fried tortilla strips on top too.
Make-Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
This amazing soup will keep perfectly fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days. So you can make it ahead of time and reheat it when you are ready to serve it.
You can freeze it too, but remember to let it cool completely before putting it into airtight containers and into the fridge for up to 4 days or into the freezer for up to 4 months. Thaw the soup in the fridge and reheat it in a pot on the stovetop.