You can get a burrito anywhere these days, but it’s so easy to make them at home, and so much more healthy. They don’t always have to be chicken, carne asada, or carnitas burritos.
Have you ever thought about making a seafood burrito recipe? This shrimp burrito recipe is simply delicious. You can add anything you want to the filling, such as rice, beans, avocado, cheese, etc. and in this recipe, my grilled shrimp burrito has a delicious sriracha aioli that makes it extra special!
Ingredients you’ll need:
To cook the shrimp, you will need:
- Shrimp. Small shrimp are ok because if they are too large, it will be hard to wrap them in the tortilla
- Veggies such as chopped onion, minced garlic, and green bell pepper
- Spices such as cumin, coriander, and paprika for that authentic Mexican flavor
- Lime juice to make the flavor of the shrimp come to life
For the aioli:
- Mayonnaise is the base for our aioli
- Sriracha will give it a spicy touch. Add as much or as little as su prefer
- Lime juice because shrimp always need a squirt of lime
- Old bay seasoning gives this aioli a delicious flavor
As filling for this amazing shrimp burrito recipe, let me recommend the following:
- Cooked rice and black beans. I recommend you drain and rinse the beans. You can use white rice or brown rice
- Large burrito tortillas. It is easier to wrap a burrito if the tortillas are warm
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend, or the cheese of your choice
- Avocado. You can add it sliced or mashed, whatever is easier for you
- Pico de gallo. It can either be store-bought or homemade. Just mix some diced Roma tomatoes, chopped onion, and jalapenos, add salt and minced fresh cilantro
- Lettuce. that should be shredded for easier handling.
How To Make A Shrimp Burrito?
Follow these instructions for a very easy shrimp burrito recipe:
- Make the aioli by whisking together mayo, sriracha, lime juice, old bay seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil and saute the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sliced green bell peppers for about 3 mins
- Add the cumin, coriander, and paprika and cook until fragrant
- Throw in the shrimp and cook until they turn opaque about 3-4 mins. Do not overcook them or they will become mushy. Add a teaspoon of lime juice and remove from the heat
- To assemble the burritos, place a tortilla on the counter or a cutting board. Add about ¼ cup of cooked rice, ¼ cup of black beans, ¼ of the shrimp, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado slices, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro. Drizzle aioli on top of everything.
- Wrap one side of the tortilla over the filling, then bring in both short ends and continue rolling tightly. Slice in half and serve with extra aioli.
How To Season Shrimp For Burritos?
I think the best way is to cook them with sauteed onions, garlic, and bell pepper, and then season them with Old Bay, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Coriander and cumin are spices commonly used in Mexican cuisine, and Old Bay Seasoning gives them a special touch.
What To Serve With a Shrimp Burrito?
If you want to keep with the Mexican theme, you can start your meal with an Easy Beefy Mexican Rice Soup, or an Albondigas Soup Recipe.
Another great side dish would be a salad like my Pasta Salad Recipe or my fresh Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad. And since there’s always room for dessert, leave some space for Mackinac Island Fudge or a delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Dessert.
Store and Reheat Your Shrimp Burrito:
If you are not going to eat the burrito at once, I recommend you wrap it in parchment or wax paper and into the fridge for up to 2 days.
Remember the burrito has lettuce and avocado and they do not keep fresh for too long. This will keep the tortilla from drying out.
To reheat, simply heat a skillet over medium heat, unwrap the burrito, and place it on the skillet until the tortilla is slightly brown and the filling has warmed up. I wouldn’t recommend using the microwave or the lettuce will wilt and the avocado will oxidize.
Easy Shrimp Burrito Recipe
For the shrimp:
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the aioli
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsps Sriracha (or to taste)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the filling
- 4 burrito tortillas, warmed up
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, or your favorite cheese
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado sliced or mashed
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Make the aioli by whisking together the mayo, Sriracha, lime juice, Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper
- Prepare the shrimp by heating a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat and sauteing the onion, bell pepper and garlic until fragrant, about 3 mins. Add the cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper
- Throw in the shrimp and cook them until they turn opaque, about 3-4 mins. Do not overcook them or they will turn mushy. Squeeze the lime juice on top and remove from heat
- Assemble the burritos by laying a warm tortilla on the counter or cutting board and add ¼ cup of rice, ¼ cup of black beans and avocado slices
- Next add the shredded lettuce and pico de gallo
- Top with the shredded cheese, ¼ of the shrimp, cilantro leaves and aioli
- Roll the burrito tucking the ends and slice in half. Serve with extra aioli on the side