If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make soup recipe that can be a complete meal in itself, this Mexican soup recipe is for you. Ground beef Mexican soup has protein, veggies, and beans cooked in the most delicious tomatoey broth.
Simple enough to make any night of the week, once your family tries this ground beef soup recipe, you will make it again and again.
Ingredients you’ll need:
Easy ground beef Mexican soup is made from the following ingredients:
- Ground beef: I like to use low-fat, grass-fed ground beef, but you could use ground chicken or turkey as well.
- Onion and garlic: You will need ½ medium onion and 2 garlic cloves. Chop them finely.
- Taco seasoning: Gives the soup its amazing Mexican-style flavor.
- Beef stock: I like to use low-sodium beef stock to make my soup healthier.
- Black beans: Make sure to drain and rinse the black beans so your soup will not have a dark color.
- Frozen corn: You will love the texture and flavor of corn in this soup. It also gives the soup beautiful bits of color.
- Diced tomatoes: one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes is needed.
- Green chiles: a 4 oz can of diced green chiles gives the soup just a bit of a kick.
- 1 ½ cups tomato puree: If you don’t have the puree, tomato sauce will work, but for me, puree gives the soup the perfect texture and thickness.
- Rice: just ½ cup will plump up enough to make this ground beef Mexican soup thick and delicious.
- Lime juice: Just before serving, a splash of lime juice elevates the flavor of the soup greatly.
- Fresh cilantro: If you can, don’t skip this ingredient. The freshness and authenticity it gives the soup are very desirable.
How To Make Mexican Ground Beef Soup?
- You won’t believe how easy it is to make this delicious ground beef Mexican soup.
- In a medium-sized dutch oven or pot, brown the ground beef along with the chopped onion and minced garlic until you can no longer see any pink in the meat.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning on top of the meat and give it a stir.
- Pour in the beef broth along with the rest of the ingredients (except for the lime juice and cilantro) and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Let it cook for 5 additional minutes and serve with a splash of fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, and your favorite toppings.
How Long is Leftover Soup Good For?
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze ground beef Mexican soup for up to 4 months if you store it in an airtight container or freezer-safe zipper bag.
Mexican Soup Toppings:
My favorite toppings for ground beef Mexican soup are shredded cheddar, sour cream, freshly sliced red onions, sliced jalapenos, diced avocados, and fried tortilla strips.
What To Serve with Mexican Soup:
If you wish to serve this soup as an entree but want to have a side dish, I would recommend my Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad. It is super fresh and light. If your family loves bread, you can treat them to my Savory Party Bread Recipe to eat along with the soup.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 quart low-sodium beef stock
- 1- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 ½ cups tomato puree
- ½ cup long grain white rice
- Lime juice and chopped cilantro for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized dutch oven or pot, brown the ground beef along with the chopped onion and minced garlic until no pink is left on the meat. Add the taco seasoning.
- Pour in the beef stock and the rest of the ingredients, except for the lime juice and cilantro. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with freshly chopped cilantro and a splash of lime juice.