If you don’t know what Salisbury Steak is, you’re in for a treat! Slow cooker Salisbury Steak is tender and juicy ground beef patties slow cooked in the most delicious creamy gravy flavored with mushrooms and sliced onion that just melt in your mouth!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Sliced mushrooms. I imagine the original recipe didn’t involve mushrooms, but thankfully now we can enjoy our steaks with them
- Sliced onions, just like mushrooms provide amazing flavor to the dish
- Beef broth is used as the base liquid for the gravy
- Brown gravy mix is the key ingredient that gives this amazing gravy its consistency and flavor
- Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and dijon mustard provide sweet, tangy, and spicy notes to the gravy
- Cornstarch is used to thicken the gravy a little bit
- Fresh parsley for color and presentation as well as flavor is added to the gravy and as a finishing touch
- Ground beef. I recommend you use good quality lean beef. I use grass-fed, 93% lean beef, but you can use the ground beef of your choice
- One egg will be used as a binder for the beef patties
- Panko breadcrumbs and milk are added to make the beef patties moist. The crumbs absorb the milk and keep them plump
- Garlic powder, minced onion, dried parsley, and mustard powder will help season the patties as well as salt and pepper.
How To Make Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak?
Slow cooker Salisbury steak is very easy to make following these instructions:
- Place the sliced onions and mushrooms in the bottom of your slow cooker
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, Panko breadcrumbs, milk, garlic, mustard powders, dried parsley, minced onion, salt, and pepper using your hands until well combined. Do not overwork the meat. Divide equally into 4 patties.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the patties on both sides.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and place them on top of the sliced onions and mushrooms and into the crockpot.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, parsley, and brown gravy mix. Pour this mixture over the patties and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 3.
- Once the patties are cooked, remove them from the crockpot and add a mixture of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with ¼ cup water to the gravy. Give everything a mix and once the gravy has thickened, return the patties to the pot and coat them with it. Serve with fresh parsley on top.
What To Serve With Salisbury Steak?
I think mashed potatoes are the perfect match for slow cooker Salisbury steak, and if you want amazing recipes, go take a look at my Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe.
If you want to spruce up some leftover mashed potatoes, make my Loaded Mashed Potato Bites Recipe. The kids will love them. And if you feel really adventurous and have the time, Potatoes Romanoff is a really special treat.
To end the meal, you need an easy but delicious dessert like Easy Boston Cream Poke Cake.
How do I store leftovers?
You can place your leftovers in an airtight container and into the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply microwave the steaks until hot, or place them in a baking dish and into a 350 F preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes.
If you are using the oven, I recommend you cover them with foil so the gravy doesn’t dry out.
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 -1 oz package dry brown gravy mix
- 2 tbsps ketchup
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
For the patties:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ tbsp dry minced onion
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp dry parsley
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the sliced onions and mushrooms in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Place all the ingredients for the beef patties in a medium-sized bowl and mix them using a fork or your hands, until all ingredients are well combined. Do not overwork the meat. Divide it evenly into 4 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the patties on both sides for about 3 mins on each side. Place them into the crockpot on top of the mushrooms and onions.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, fresh parsley, and dry brown gravy mix. Pour this mixture into the crockpot, place the lid on and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 3.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch into the water. Remove the patties from the crockpot and add the cornstarch slurry to the pot. Set it on high and cook the gravy until thickened. Return the steaks to the pot and cover them with the gravy. Serve with fresh parsley on top.