These are amazing! If you are looking for a great appetizer recipe or just looking to glam up your mashed potatoes, you will love these mashed potato bites. Breaded and fried to crispy perfection, these bites have a hidden treasure inside.
A sharp cheddar cheese square in the middle melts and becomes gooey and delicious. One of the best leftover mashed potato recipes I’ve ever made!
They have sliced green onions and bacon mixed into the mashed potatoes, making them even more delicious. Amaze your friends and family and make them for your next gathering.
How To Make Fried Mashed Potato Balls?
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, flour, real bacon bits, chopped green onions, paprika, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Grab a heaping tablespoon of the potato mix and form a patty. Put a cheddar cheese square in the middle and cover it with the mixture to form a ball.
- Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish and the breadcrumbs in another. Dip each ball in the egg and roll it in the breadcrumbs until fully covered.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan, and working in batches, fry the bites until brown and crispy.
How Do I Store Leftover Mashed Potato Bites?
If you wish to refrigerate them, store them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To freeze them, place them on a baking sheet or plate and freeze them for 1 hour. Once they are a bit hard, you can put them in a freezer bag and freeze them for up to 4 months.
- If your potato mixture is too soft, you can add another tablespoon of flour to make the mix a bit firmer.
- If the balls are still a bit soft and you don’t want to add more flour, refrigerate them for an hour before frying them.
- Serve the balls immediately while they are still hot, while the cheese in the middle is still melted.
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 20- 1 inch cubes of sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup real bacon bits
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, flour, bacon bits, chopped green onions, paprika, salt, and pepper .
- Grab about a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture and form a patty. Take a cheddar cheese square and place it in the middle. Cover the cheese with the mashed potatoes and form a ball
- Place the beaten egg in a small shallow dish and the breadcrumbs in another. Dip each ball first in the beaten egg and then roll them in breadcrumbs until fully covered.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and fry the bites in batches until brown.