If lasagna married burrito, this beef burrito casserole would be their lovechild. I have tried quite a few burrito casseroles, and this one is by far the best. I just made a slight change in the ingredients.
I know burritos are made using flour tortillas, but I used corn tortillas this time, so this might as well be a cross between a taco and a burrito casserole.
Using corn tortillas gave this casserole an amazing taste. I think corn tortillas are better than flour ones.
More flavorful and texture-wise, I like them better. Please give this easy-baked burrito casserole a try and tell me what you think of it!
How To Bake a Burrito Casserole?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Using a medium-sized dutch oven or large skillet, cook the meat with the onion, garlic, and green bell pepper, until there is no longer pink in the meat.
- Mix the taco seasoning, refried beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until everything is well combined and heated through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup and the sour cream. Spread half of this mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Place 3 corn tortillas on the soup mixture to cover it completely. You may need to overlap them and cut one to cover every bit of the surface.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture on top of the tortilla layer.
- Spread the remaining soup mixture on top of the meat layer.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on top of the soup layer.
- Repeat the tortilla and meat layers and finish with the remaining cheese on top of the meat layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
What To Serve with Burrito Casserole?
The best side dish for this casserole is a salad. I like to make a salad with lettuce, tomato, sliced red onion, black olives, shredded Parmesan cheese, and honey mustard vinaigrette.
Can You Freeze Burrito Casserole?
Yes, you can. Wait for it to cool completely after baking, then cover it with two layers of plastic wrap and one layer of foil, and freeze for up to 4 months. Remember to label the casserole with the date you made it.
- If you don’t like corn tortillas, you can use regular flour tortillas.
- When making the meat mixture, cook it until it has little liquid and is quite thick. That way, the casserole will not be soggy.
- Shred your cheese. Pre-shredded cheese does not melt well.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pack taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1- 16 oz can refried beans
- 1- 10 oz can rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 6 large corn tortillas
- 2 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese,divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a medium-sized dutch oven or large skillet, cook the ground beef with the onion, garlic, and green bell pepper until there is no pink left in the beef.
- Add the can of refried beans, the diced tomatoes with green chilies, a pack of taco seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes until everything is well blended and heated through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Spread half this mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Place three tortillas in one layer on top of the soup mixture. You may have to overlap them and cut one tortilla to fit the little spaces in between.
- Place half of the meat mixture on top of the corn tortillas
- Spoon the remaining soup mixture on top of the meat.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on the soup mixture.
- Repeat tortilla and meat layers and finish with another layer of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.