We all know mashed potatoes are a staple at every Thanksgiving dinner table. Surprise your guests with a new way to serve them: in a cup. These mashed potato cups are hearty and tasty, with a balanced and incredibly creamy and buttery taste. If mashed potatoes are your thing, you have to make The BEST Mashed Potatoes! Too common? Try my Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe. And for a twist on the classic recipe, check out Potatoes Romanoff.
Fluffy mashed potato cups are great as a side dish or as a hearty to-go snack. Mashed potato cups taste delicious even when they’re cold. But, you can easily reheat them in the microwave or oven.
Add chopped ham, cooked crumbled bacon, veggies, or cheese to make them even tastier. And, they make amazing appetizers!
Mashed Potato Cups Ingredients:
- Potatoes: You can use freshly made mashed potatoes, or use leftovers. I like to use Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes.
- Colby – Monterey Jack cheese: is my favorite, but you can use mozzarella, cheddar, or any cheese you like.
- Parmesan cheese: gives them a unique salty cheesy flavor.
- Milk: I prefer using whole milk for mashed potatoes, but you can use the milk of your choice
- Unsalted butter gives them that fantastic creamy texture and flavor.
- Green onion: You can also use fresh rosemary or parsley,
- Onion powder, black and white pepper: give them that extra great flavor. You can use any herb or spice of your liking.
How To Make Mashed Potato Cups?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F . Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or two 6-cup muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add potatoes to a pot with boiling salted water. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain and mash the potatoes.
- Mix in the cheese, milk, butter, green onion, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and white pepper. Stir until combined. Divide the mashed potato mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with additional Colby & Monterey Jack cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle green onions or spoon sour cream on top. Enjoy!
Tips for the BEST Mashed Potato Cups:
- I recommend using Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes.
- You can also use leftover mashed potatoes. If it already contains butter and milk, you don’t have to add it again. Just skip these ingredients.
- Shredded cheddar cheese will also work well in this recipe.
- Use unsalted butter to avoid oversalting your mashed potato cups.
You can prepare mashed potatoes ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator, and use them within three days.
Place leftovers mashed potato cups on a microwave-safe dish. Reheat in the microwave for a few minutes.
You can store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. after placing them in an airtight container or plastic bag.
Let leftover mashed potato cups cool completely after baking. Then, place them into an airtight container or plastic bag and freeze them for up to two months.
- 3 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks;
- 1 cup Colby - Monterey Jack cheese; shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated;
- 1/2 cup milk;
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted;
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped;
- 1/2 tsp onion powder;
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste;
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper;
- 1/4 tsp white pepper.
- 2-3 tbsp Colby -Monterey Jack cheese, grated;
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped;
- sour cream.
- Add potatoes to a pot with boiling salted water. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain out the water and mash the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Add both cheeses, milk, butter, green onions, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and white pepper. Stir until combined.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or two 6-cup tins with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the mashed potato mixture evenly between the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle with additional Colby & Monterey Jack cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Remove the mashed potato cups from the oven, sprinkle with green onions, or spoon sour cream on top. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 8.4gSaturated Fat: 5.3gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 19.1gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 5.9g