If you are looking for a moderately sweet, moist, and very flavorful carrot cake, this recipe is for you carrots match amazingly well with spices and nuts. This Recipe is very versatile because you can use your favorite nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashew, or a combination of them), and a lot of different spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pumpkin pie spice).
My Favorite Carrot Cake Recipe
I like to make this carrot cake recipe with cream cheese frosting, but you can also use whipped cream, buttercream frosting, or your favorite type of icing.
This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but don’t let that scare you. I am sure you will find them all in your pantry because they are all very common and affordable. It’s amazing how Just a few grated carrots and a handful of nuts, along with a few other ingredients, can create a very tasty, moist, and beautiful homemade carrot cake with a rich flavor.
Carrot Cake Ingredient:
- All-purpose flour: Base for the cake.
- Ground cinnamon and nutmeg: These are the spices of your choice, but you can use pumpkin spice as well.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Help the cake rise and make it light and fluffy.
- Eggs: Use them at room temperature.
- Vegetable oil: Makes homemade carrot cake moist. I recommend using canola or sunflower oil.
- Crushed pineapple: Drain the crushed pineapple before adding it to the batter. Pineapple adds amazing flavor and texture to carrot cake.
- Light brown sugar and granulated sugar: Sweeteners for the cake. If you want a sweeter cake, you can add more sugar.
- Vanilla extract: Optional flavoring, but always recommended Use good quality extract. The cheaper ones have a strong alcoholic flavor.
- Grated carrots: Are the star ingredient and they impart sweetness and moisture to the cake.
- Walnuts and pecans: I recommend using roasted walnuts and pecans., but you can use any nuts you have on hand (except peanuts)
- Powdered sugar: Sweetener for the frosting. Do not substitute with granulated sugar because it will not dissolve properly.
- Cream cheese, butter, and heavy cream: You can use any type of frosting for this cake, but I prefer cream cheese frosting with butter and heavy cream.
How To Make Carrot Cake From Scratch:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F . Grease two 9-inch pans with cooking spray and lightly dust them with flour.
- In a bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, drained crushed pineapple, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until just combined. Then, gently fold the grated carrots, walnuts, and pecans into the batter.
- Pour half of the batter into each prepared cake pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
Making the Frosting:
In a mixing bowl, beat together powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until creamy and well combined.
Spread frosting on top of one of the cakes, place the second cake over the frosted one to make one big cake and then frost the top and sides of this large cake.
Tips for the BEST Carrot Cake:
- It’s not necessary to use both pecans and walnuts, you can choose one of them.
- Don’t overbake the cake. Bake just until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Add more flavor by adding raisins, pumpkin pie spice, or orange zest to the cake.
Can You Freeze Carrot Cake With Frosting?
Yes, you can freeze carrot cake with frosting. , First, refrigerate the cake until the frosting hardens. Then, double-wrap the cake or any leftovers with plastic wrap and put it in a ziplock bag or an airtight container. Store in a freezer for up to 2 months.
How Long Does Carrot Cake Last?
Cover any leftover homemade carrot cake with plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
For the cake:
For the cream cheese frosting:
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519Total Fat: 29.1gSaturated Fat: 8.9gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 60.3gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 38.8gProtein: 6.9g