Close your eyes and imagine this pasta dish: tender chicken morsels covered in a spicy, bold-flavored creamy sauce with bits of robust flavored sun-dried tomatoes, fresh grape tomatoes, and green onions over perfectly al dente cooked penne pasta.
That’s cajun chicken pasta for you. And it could be your next dinner. This cajun pasta recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, and you will be licking the bowl with time to spare.
This meal has become one of my family’s favorite pasta dishes, and I love that it’s very easy and quick to make.
How To Make Cajun Chicken Pasta?
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain, return to the pot, and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to prevent it from sticking. Keep warm.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and cook the chicken cubes with the cajun seasoning, until brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, garlic powder, dried parsley, and heavy whipping cream. Cook for about 3 minutes until everything is heated through. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper accordingly.
- Pour the chicken with the sauce into the pot with the cooked pasta. Add the sliced grape tomatoes and toss until everything is well combined.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese, freshly sliced green onions, and grape tomatoes on top.
Here are a few ways you can change this recipe:
- Use shrimp instead of chicken.
- Add other veggies like bell pepper strips, broccoli, or peas into the sauce.
- Make it vegan using coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream, and instead of using chicken, you can add shredded jackfruit or your veggies of choice.
- Add a little white wine or vodka to the sauce for a bit of a twist.
- Try to cut all the chicken cubes roughly the same size to cook evenly.
- If you serve this dish to children, go easy on the cajun seasoning. It can be a little spicy.
- Save some pasta cooking water and if you feel you need a little more liquid after adding the chicken and sauce, add this to the pasta.
If you like short pasta recipes, here are a few more:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 8 ounces cooked penne pasta (cooked al dente)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese and freshly sliced green onions for garnish
- In a medium-sized skillet, melt the butter over med-high heat and brown the chicken cubes with the cajun seasoning until fully cooked, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, dried parsley, garlic powder, and heavy whipping cream. Cook for about 3 minutes, until everything is heated through. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook and drain the pasta. Return drained pasta to the pot and add the chicken, sauce, and sliced grape tomatoes. Toss to combine and serve with parmesan cheese on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 19.5gCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 22.8g