This classic American favorite gets a little makeover with a crust of marinara sauce and melted freshly shredded mozzarella cheese. Italian-style meatloaf is a great variation of the original meatloaf recipes. I love the fact that it is so easy to make.
I added sauteed chopped onion, bell pepper, and minced garlic this time, and I think this small addition also adds great flavor.
What can be easier than mixing all ingredients and letting the oven do the cooking?
Italian meatloaf gets a delicious crust because it is baked with marinara sauce on top and then gets even better with a coat of melted gooey mozzarella.
What To Serve with Italian Meatloaf?
When the meatloaf has been in the oven for the first 50 minutes, cook a pound of spaghetti. Drain the spaghetti, drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over it to keep it from sticking, and keep it warm.
Remember to cook the spaghetti in water with a tablespoon of salt added. Otherwise, it will be tasteless. Once the meatloaf is done cooking, serve it sliced on the spaghetti. I also like to serve a Ceasar salad on the side.
- Remember to add salt and pepper to the meat mixture. We sometimes forget this and end up with a bland-tasting meatloaf.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper finely. Otherwise, you will have big chunks of them inside the loaf.
- When cooking the spaghetti to serve with the meatloaf, remember to salt the water generously.
- Keep an eye on the meat once you add the layer of cheese. You want it just melted.
- If you want to add a little sauce to this dish, add an extra cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of the baking dish and scoop it over the spaghetti for serving.
For other ground beef recipes, check these out:
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb Italian sausage
- ⅓ cup onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ lb mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded and divided
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef, sausage, sauteed veggies, and all the rest of the ingredients except half of the mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of marinara sauce. Mix using your hands until all ingredients are well combined.
- Grease a baking dish and place the meat mixture on it. Shape it to your liking
- Pour the reserved cup of marinara sauce on top and sides of the meatloaf. Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes.
- Take the meatloaf out of the oven and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 26.5gCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 36g