Are you a beef and potatoes kind of person? Then this ground beef casserole is for you. If you crave meat, potatoes, and cheese on a regular basis, you will be thrilled to learn that this is one of those easy ground beef recipes with few ingredients that comes together in no time and makes your heart happy.
A lot of ground beef casserole recipes are tomato-based, but this one is just creamy and gooey, meaty, and delicious.
The use of frozen cubed potatoes, cream of celery soup, and condensed cheddar cheese soup makes it fast, convenient, and very flavorful.
How To Make Ground Beef Casserole?
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Using a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, brown the beef until no longer pink, about 3 mins.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked ground beef with the frozen cubed potatoes with onions and bell peppers, cream of cheddar soup, condensed cream of celery soup, one cup of shredded cheddar, salt, and pepper to taste, until well combined.
- Spoon this mixture into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and top with the remaining cup of shredded cheddar.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Can I Freeze This Casserole and Bake Later?
Yes, you can. The potatoes are already frozen, so it won’t make much of a difference if you bake it right away or later. Just make sure when you mix in the cooked ground beef, it is room temperature.
Mix everything together, and place it in a freezer bag, or you can also freeze it in the baking dish covered with two layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil.
Thaw it in the fridge the night before, take it out 30 mins prior to baking and bake according to the above instructions.
Variations and Substitutions
- You can sub the cream of celery soup for cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, or any other cream soup you have in your pantry.
- Add more frozen veggies if you like. Frozen carrots, peas, or corn. You can use your favorite veggies.
- Replace the cheddar cheese with your favorite shredded cheese.
- Use ground chicken or turkey for a lower-calorie meal.
- If you prefer the tomato-based casserole, replace the cream soups with 2- 15 oz cans of tomato sauce and add 1- 8 oz package of cream cheese along with the cheddar. For this, you might need to add a bit more salt and pepper.
Before storing the leftovers, wait for them to cool completely. Place them in an airtight container and into the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 4 months.
To reheat, thaw them in the fridge overnight and take them out 30 mins before reheating in the microwave or a preheated 350 F oven for about 15 mins. If you are using the oven, I recommend covering them with foil.
Other Beef Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 93% lean)
- 1- 10.5 oz condensed cream of celery soup
- 1- 10.5 oz cream of cheddar cheese soup
- 1- 28 oz bag frozen cubed potatoes with onion and bell peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a medium-sized skillet, brown the ground beef until no pink is left.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground beef, frozen diced potatoes with onion and bell peppers, condensed cream of celery soup, cream of cheddar soup, one cup shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar evenly on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins. Remove the foil and cook an additional 15 mins until the cheese is melted.