If you’re looking for the perfect breakfast to kick off your day, look no further than apple pie coffee cake! This soft, flavorful cake is like a cross between two classic recipes – soft, fluffy cake and sweet apple pie.
This Apple pie coffee cake is a deliciously simple treat that only requires a few ingredients to prepare and can be baked by any beginner baker. Its delicious flavor comes from the apple filling that adds just the right amount of tartness to keep it interesting.
Spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg add even more depth to every bite. Whether it’s for breakfast or dessert, this apple pie coffee cake is sure to please everyone at the table!
Ingredients you’ll need:
Start your morning off right with this delicious and easy-to-make coffee cake with apple filling! It’s the perfect balance of sweet apples and fluffy cake. All you need are a few simple ingredients to whip up this classic breakfast treat that everyone will enjoy.
- One package of white cake mix: Having a white cake mix on hand can make all the difference. Not only can it save you time and hassle in the kitchen, but it’s also incredibly versatile too.
- A pinch of ground cinnamon: You’ll be amazed at what a difference a teaspoon of cinnamon makes!
- Canned apple pie filling: Canned Apple Pie Filling provides a delicious, convenient solution to making an apple pie from scratch.
- Sour cream: Sour cream adds an unexpected burst of flavor, as well as a soft texture that makes you want to have an extra slice.
- Eggs: Eggs provide the body and structure of the finished product.
How Do You Make Apple Pie Coffee Cake?
Are you looking for an easy coffee cake to make with only a few ingredients? Try this apple pie-filling coffee cake and you’ll never go back!
It only requires five simple ingredients, and it’s ready in less than an hour. Just mix together the cake mix with sour cream, eggs, and water until it is blended together. Then spoon the mixture into a greased 13×9-inch pan alternating with the can of apple pie filling. Bake in a preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
Once the cake is ready you can glaze it., All you need for the glaze is some confectioner’s sugar and milk – simply mix it together until it reaches the desired consistency, spoon it over the cake, and spread it evenly across the top. Now your apple pie coffee cake is ready to enjoy!
Making Homemade Apple Pie Filling:
If you’re having a hard time finding the exact canned apple pie filling you need for your recipe, making it from scratch may be an ideal solution.
Homemade versions don’t take long–you only need ingredients such as your favorite peeled, cored, and sliced apples; liquid sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, or just simply brown sugar, thickening agents such as cornstarch or tapioca flour; and spices like ginger and cinnamon if desired. Once cooked, you can use your homemade apple pie filling for this apple pie filling coffee cake recipe.
Homemade apple pie filling is simple to make and if stored properly can last for up to two weeks in the refrigerator or for several months if kept in the freezer.
Tips for the BEST Apple Pie Coffee Cake:
Making an apple pie-filling coffee cake can make a delicious treat for breakfast or dessert. Follow these simple tips to make this delicious dessert that’s sure to please:
- When adding your wet ingredients to the dry cake mix, make sure to mix it properly and evenly so that each bite of your cake has the same perfect taste and texture with no lumps.
- You want to make sure that your cake truly has an apple layer by evenly spreading the apples on top of your batter. If you don’t make sure the apples are evenly distributed, then you won’t get that true apple taste in every bite.
- Bake it until golden brown and check it for doneness with a skewer. You might be tempted to bake the cake for a few extra minutes, but beware that overbaking can dry out the cake so it’s best to err on the side of caution!
- To serve your cake to perfection, make sure you cut slices when it’s still warm from the oven, and don’t forget to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra yumminess!
Making ahead, storing, and freezing:
Making this apple-filling coffee cake is one of life’s small joys, and it’s all the better if you have leftovers so you can enjoy them a few days later! While coffee cakes are most delicious warm in the oven, making ahead and storing coffee cakes with apple filling can help you enjoy them for days.
To keep the cake fresh and flavorful, store it in an airtight container either as a whole cake or portioned into slices.
This method will help maintain freshness for up to a week after baking in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer. Let the cake cool completely before storing it in the fridge or freezer.
For the cake:
- 1 pack of white cake mix (15.25 oz)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can apple pie filling (21 oz)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Into a medium-sized bowl add the white cake mix, cinnamon, sour cream, eggs, and water and mix using a mixer until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Top with spoonfuls of canned apple pie filling.
- Bake the cake for 35 min until golden on top or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool down for 10 min.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze: Mix powdered sugar and milk into a small bowl. If the glaze is too thick to drizzle, add milk one teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Cool completely before slicing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 860Total Fat: 40gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 130gProtein: 8g