This easy cabbage roll casserole recipe sometimes called “lazy cabbage roll casserole” is a more convenient way to prepare this delicious dish. If you haven’t already, please try this amazing cabbage casserole with rice for dinner tonight!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Ground beef. I like to use lean, grass-fed ground beef
- Onion. Half a cup of chopped onion is used to flavor this delicious casserole
- Cabbage. One medium chopped cabbage is what we’ll need
- Rice. I used regular long-grain white rice. ¾ cup
- Tomato sauce. One large 29 oz can of tomato sauce
- Beef broth. Two cups of beef broth help cook the rice and cabbage
- Bay leaf and fresh thyme are the ideal aromatics for this casserole.
How To Make Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole?
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until there is no pink left on the meat. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the chopped cabbage, rice, and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon half of the cabbage mixture into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, next add the ground beef and top with the remaining half of the cabbage mixture. Add fresh thyme and two bay leaves on top.
Pour two cups of beef broth evenly over the casserole, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour and 20 mins. Take it out of the oven halfway and give it a mix. Cover and continue baking.
What To Serve With Cabbage Roll Casserole?
You can start your meal with soup. I think you would love the Best Cauliflower Soup Recipe or The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup. A slice of freshly baked Italian Bread Recipe is a must.
For dessert, how about a Million Dollar Cake Recipe or to keep with the theme, The Best Lazy Man’s Peach Cobbler?
Freeze and Reheat Cabbage Roll Casserole:
For best results, you can freeze the unbaked casserole, thaw it and bake it the day you plan to serve it, but you can also freeze the leftovers.
Place them into an airtight container and freeze them for up to 3 months. Reheat them in the oven after they have thawed.
To reheat this easy cabbage roll casserole recipe, place the thawed leftovers in a baking dish and bake at a preheated 350 F for about 20 mins. You can also reheat them in the microwave.
Easy Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped (about 10 cups)
- ¾ cup white long grain rice
- 1 -29 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Brown the ground beef with the chopped onions until there is no pink left in the meat. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chopped cabbage, rice and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place half the cabbage mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Spoon the meat mixture on top of the cabbage.
- Top the meat with the remaining half of the cabbage mixture and pour the beef broth evenly over the casserole. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and add the bay leaves. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 20 mins. Midway through the cooking time, remove the casserole from the oven, give it a little mix with a fork, cover again and continue baking.