If you like broccoli and cheddar soup, you will definitely love cauliflower soup as well. Broccoli and cauliflower are cousins and have a similar flavor, although cauliflower is a bit more subtle.
I love it so much I like to eat it grilled, steamed, roasted, or in as many cauliflower soup recipes I can come up with. Even my kids love this cauliflower soup recipe because it is creamy, cheesy, and oh so good! Even non-cauliflower lovers love this one!
How To Make The Best Cauliflower Soup?
1. Cook The Veggies:
- Place the cauliflower florets, carrots, celery, onion, and chicken stock inside a large pot or dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins or until the veggies are tender.
2. Make The Cheese Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes and whisk in the milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until thick.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted.
3. Mix It Up:
- Pour the cheese sauce into the pot with the veggies.
- Add the bay leaves, dry basil, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 mins. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Cauliflower Soup Serving Suggestions
I like to serve this soup with a slice of crusty bread and as a side dish for roasted chicken with potatoes, meatloaf, or any other main dish. It really goes well with everything. Adding a bit of cooked, crumbled bacon on top adds a great layer of flavor as well!
- If you want to add a bit more color to your soup, try mixing broccoli florets in as well as cauliflower.
- Adding chopped red bell pepper gives this soup a bit more color.
- Try making the cheese sauce with one cup of milk and one cup of beer for additional taste.
- If you feel the soup is a bit bland, add a tablespoon of chicken bouillon.
- Sharp cheddar cheese and a squirt of hot sauce will add even more flavor.
Best Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 medium cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, place the cauliflower florets, shredded carrot, chopped celery, and onion. Pour the chicken stock over the veggies. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins until veggies are tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook this mixture for a couple of minutes and whisk in the milk. Cook until thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and blend in the shredded cheese until melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the pot with the veggies.
- Add the bay leaves, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 mins. Adjust seasoning before serving and add more salt if needed.
Wednesday 22nd of February 2023
Soooo good! Added a cup of chopped broccoli also..
Tuesday 28th of February 2023
So happy it was a hit!! 😀
Sunday 15th of January 2023
Just ate this soup and it is very good. If you would like this soup don't have second thoughts about making it just got ahead and make it . Thanks for sharing this soup with everyone
Tuesday 28th of February 2023
You're very welcome! 😀 So happy you liked it!! 😀
Sunday 4th of December 2022
This was very easy to make. I did add some chopped ham to add to the flavor of this super creamy and thick soup. My husban loved it. I will be making this agai. Thank you!