If you like broccoli and cheddar soup, you will definitely love cauliflower soup as well. Broccoli and cauliflower are cousins and have a similar flavor, although cauliflower is a bit more subtle.
I love it so much I like to eat it grilled, steamed, roasted, or in as many cauliflower soup recipes I can come up with. Even my kids love this cauliflower soup recipe because it is creamy, cheesy, and oh so good! Even non-cauliflower lovers love this one!
How To Make The Best Cauliflower Soup?
1. Cook The Veggies:
- Place the cauliflower florets, carrots, celery, onion, and chicken stock inside a large pot or dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins or until the veggies are tender.
2. Make The Cheese Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes and whisk in the milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until thick.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted.
3. Mix It Up:
- Pour the cheese sauce into the pot with the veggies.
- Add the bay leaves, dry basil, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 mins. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Cauliflower Soup Serving Suggestions
I like to serve this soup with a slice of crusty bread and as a side dish for roasted chicken with potatoes, meatloaf, or any other main dish. It really goes well with everything. Adding a bit of cooked, crumbled bacon on top adds a great layer of flavor as well!
- If you want to add a bit more color to your soup, try mixing broccoli florets in as well as cauliflower.
- Adding chopped red bell pepper gives this soup a bit more color.
- Try making the cheese sauce with one cup of milk and one cup of beer for additional taste.
- If you feel the soup is a bit bland, add a tablespoon of chicken bouillon.
- Sharp cheddar cheese and a squirt of hot sauce will add even more flavor.
- 1 medium cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, place the cauliflower florets, shredded carrot, chopped celery, and onion. Pour the chicken stock over the veggies. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins until veggies are tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook this mixture for a couple of minutes and whisk in the milk. Cook until thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and blend in the shredded cheese until melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the pot with the veggies.
- Add the bay leaves, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 mins. Adjust seasoning before serving and add more salt if needed.