Calling all meat lovers! If you’re looking for a different way to prepare steak, you have to try this extraordinary Cajun steak marinade. It consists of a mixture of soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, whole grain mustard, garlic, olive oil, cajun seasoning, and fresh thyme and rosemary.
This Cajun Steak recipe is to die for! Or maybe I should call it a Cajun butter steak recipe because it is bathed in the most amazing glaze prepared by adding butter to the reduced marinade.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Soy sauce: I recommend using low-sodium soy sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, or your favorite oil.
- Brown sugar gives the marinade a sweet touch
- Bourbon. You can omit it if you don’t consume alcohol, although the alcohol will evaporate and all that remains is the amazing flavor
- Whole-grain mustard gives this marinade a strong and tangy flavor that compliments all the other ingredients
- Cajun seasoning is the star ingredient. It provides loads of flavor and a spicy touch
- Garlic makes every recipe even better!
- Fresh thyme and rosemary pair perfectly with steak
- Tri-tip. This cut of beef grills very nicely. Look for one with a good amount of marbling for a more tender steak
- Butter to prepare the glaze.
How To Make Cajun Steak?
- In a large bowl make the marinade by mixing together the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, bourbon, mustard, cajun seasoning, garlic, and fresh herbs.
- Reserve ⅓ cup of the marinade. Place the steak into the bowl and marinate it for at least 20 mins (or overnight) in the refrigerator. Preheat the grill.
- Grill for 10 mins on each side or until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the steak reaches 130 F.
While the steak is cooking, prepare the glaze by simmering the reserved marinade in a small pot until slightly thick. Whisk in one and a half tablespoons of butter until melted.
Let the steak rest for at least 7-10 mins before slicing it and brushing the slices with the glaze.
The Best Steak for Cajun Steak is:
Tri-tip is an amazing cut of beef for grilling. A good quality tri-tip steak has a good amount of marbling which makes it tender and juicy. Other great cuts for the grill are Chuck Eye Steak, Ranch Steak, Flat Iron Steak, Tenderloin Steak, Porterhouse, or Strip Steak.
What To Serve With Cajun Steak?
Potatoes and salad are the perfect side dishes for Cajun Steak. You could have roasted potatoes, like my Bombay Potatoes Recipe, or maybe Crock Pot Potatoes Recipe, or even Potatoes Romanoff. You are going to love my Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad! And to finish this amazing meal, you deserve an equally amazing treat like Easy Double Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake.
Making Cajun Steak Ahead of Time:
If you want to make this amazing steak ahead of time prepare the marinade, and marinate the steak up to overnight. Grill it just before serving.
Best Cajun Butter Steak Recipe
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsps whole-grain mustard
- ¼ cup bourbon or whiskey
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsps fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 ½ lb tri-tip steak
- 1 ½ tbsps of butter
- In a large bowl, make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, mustard, bourbon, cajun seasoning, garlic and herbs. Reserve ⅓ cup.
- Place meat into the bowl and marinate in the fridge for at least 20 mins (up to overnight). Preheat the grill, griddle, or grill pan.
- Grill for 10 mins on one side.
- And for an additional 10 mins on the other side, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 130 F at the thickest part.
- While the meat is grilling, prepare the glaze. Place the reserved marinade in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until it begins to thicken. Whisk in the butter and reserve.
- Let the meat rest for about 7-10 mins before slicing it. Slice it and brush with the glaze. Serve warm.