For all of us that want to eat healthy and clean food, taco lettuce wrap is a must-save recipe. Low in fat but full of flavor, tortilla-free ground turkey lettuce wraps will satisfy your appetite as well as your tastebuds. Turkey tacos lettuce wraps are a crunchy and fresh way to eat your lean protein!
Ingredients you’ll need:
You can customize your taco lettuce wraps to your liking by changing the protein you use and the toppings you add. In this recipe, I used the following:
- Onion and garlic to flavor the ground turkey taco meat
- Ground turkey. I am watching my weight, so I used 95% lean ground turkey. You can use ground chicken or beef if you prefer
- Spices: my go-to spices for tacos are cumin, coriander, paprika, and chili powder
- Tomato sauce. Adding tomato sauce really brings out the flavor of the meat and spices. Simmer the meat mixture until almost all the liquid in the sauce evaporates and only the flavor remains
- The chicken broth will make the meat mixture a bit sauce and adds flavor as well
- Romaine lettuce leaves are the best for making taco lettuce wraps because of their boat-like shape
Toppings of your choice: I used chopped tomatoes, sliced red onion, fresh cilantro, diced avocado, and a shredded Mexican cheese blend. You can add sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and black olives… the list is endless.
What kind of lettuce do you use for tacos?
The best lettuce to use is Romaine. Its leaves are boat-like large leaves that can hold the meat mixture and toppings very well. They are sturdy and large.
You can use two per taco just to be sure they can hold all the goodies without falling apart. You can also use Iceberg lettuce leaves or even Butter lettuce leaves, although these you will have to really wrap.
How to make taco lettuce wraps?
This recipe is so fast and easy to make, the first thing you have to do is prep all your ingredients!
- Wash the lettuce leaves and dry them thoroughly. Prep your toppings
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onions until translucent. Add the ground turkey and garlic. Break up the meat as it cooks.
- Add the spices, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the taco wraps: over two lettuce leaves placed one on top of the other, add about three tablespoons of meat, and top with chopped tomatoes, sliced red onion, diced avocado, shredded Mexican cheese blend, and fresh cilantro leaves.
What to serve with taco lettuce wraps?
Some people feel this meal is just too light for them and they need something else to top them off. I would recommend keeping it lightly if you’re trying to eat healthily, so starting with soup is a good idea. Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe is a great low-calorie soup that’s really satisfying.
For dessert, if you really want to go low-calorie, fresh fruit is the way to go. If calorie counting is not as important to you, let me recommend Mackinac Island Fudge. It’s definitely not low-calorie, but a little piece really hits the spot!
Easy Taco Lettuce Wraps
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey, 95% lean
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsps chili powder
- 1 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsps ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romaine lettuce leaves (2 for each taco) washed and thoroughly dried
- Toppings of your choice (chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, sliced red onion, shredded Mexican cheese blend, and fresh cilantro leaves)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion until translucent
- Add the ground turkey and minced garlic. Brown until the meat is cooked through, breaking it up as you cook it
- Pour in the tomato sauce, chicken broth and spices. Simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated
- Make the tacos: over two lettuce leaves placed one on top of the other, scoop about 3 tablespoons of meat and top with chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, sliced red onion, shredded Mexican cheese blend, and fresh cilantro leaves. You can more toppings like sliced jalapenos, black olives, or a dollop of sour cream to name a few