Flounder is a flat-looking saltwater fish that has mild-tasting flesh. It is low in fat and high in protein, which makes it ideal for people that follow a healthy diet.
If you are looking for healthy meals, this baked flounder recipe is definitely for you. It has all the great flavor of fried fish but with fewer calories. This is the best flounder recipe I’ve tried. You won’t miss the excess oil for sure!
The fish is lightly breaded with Parmesan cheese and Italian-style breadcrumbs and then baked to perfection. So keep reading for the best flounder recipe ever.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Flounder filets. It can be hard to find sometimes, but well worth the wait!
- Parmesan cheese. If you can, shred the cheese yourself. It makes a huge difference to use freshly grated cheese rather than store-bought pre-shredded one.
- Bread crumbs. I like to use Italian-style seasoned breadcrumbs
- Garlic makes the breading mixture taste even better.
- Lemon zest and lemon juice make all seafood taste better. You can use limes too
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish and also add it to the breading mixture.
How To Make Baked Flounder?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Season the flounder filets with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the breading by mixing together the Parmesan cheese, seasoned bread crumbs, zest of one lemon, garlic, and parsley.
- Dredge each piece into the breading mixture until well coated on both sides.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and place the filets on top. Drizzle the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil evenly on top of the filets as well as 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
What Goes Well With Flounder?
You need a side of carbs and a side of veggies. To start the meal, try my delicious Best Cauliflower Soup Recipe, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. And speaking about carbs, roasted sweet potatoes are a great idea as well as my Garlic Butter Rice Recipe.
If you want potatoes, check out my Green Beans, Bacon, and Potatoes Recipe. Or, if you want to spice it up, my Bombay Potatoes Recipe is tangy, spicy, and delicious! Lemon-flavored desserts go perfectly well with the theme, so check out my Mini Lemon Drop Cakes for an easy and yummy one.
Leftovers and Storage:
If you have any leftovers, place them in an airtight container and into the fridge for up to 2 days. I don’t recommend keeping fish for longer. If you wish to freeze them, let the filets cool completely before placing them on a baking sheet or plate and into the freezer.
Once hard, you can put them in a freezer bag or into an airtight container and freeze them for up to 1 month.
Best Garlic Parmesan Flounder Recipe
- 1 tbsp plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 flounder filets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup Italian style seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsps parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Season the flounder filets with salt and pepper on both sides
- On a plate, mix together the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, minced garlic, chopped parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge each filet in the Parmesan/bread crumb mixture until lightly breaded on both sides
- Brush a baking sheet with one teaspoon of olive oil before placing the filets on it, and drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil on top of the filets.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon evenly on the filets and bake for 20 mins or until fully cooked