This is the best and easiest sweet cornbread recipe! It will crumble in your hand and melt in your mouth. Sweet cornbread is soft, moist, flavorful, and sweet. You can adjust the sweetness level by adding more or less sugar or honey.
I like cornbread recipes because of their versatility. You can easily add the toppings you like (jalapenos, bacon crumbs, jelly, honey, or butter). Usually, I prepare this homemade cornbread recipe for breakfast or a bbq (as a side dish).
You should try this recipe if you usually make sweet cornbread using pre-made cornbread mixes. You don’t know how to make sweet cornbread from scratch? It is quick and super easy. No need to use an electric mixer! Just combine all of the ingredients and bake it. You will enjoy it and forget about pre-made mixes.
How Do You Make Homemade Cornbread?
This sweet cornbread recipe is super easy to make. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Stir together the dry ingredients.
Whisk together the wet ingredients. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until it begins to brown and is ready.
Remove from the oven. Let the cornbread cool for 10 minutes. Then, slice and serve warm with butter or a drizzle of honey!
Topping Ideas For Cornbread
For me, the simplest and the most basic toppings for cornbread are butter, honey, or syrup. But there are a lot of topping ideas depending on your taste:
- Jalapeno pepper. If you are a fan of spicy food, you can top it off with a slice of cornbread with freshly chopped or roasted jalapenos. Cornbread also goes well with chili or a spicy soup.
- Cheese. I prefer to top sweet cornbread with crumbly cheese like feta, goat cheese, or cheddar.
- Bacon. Crispy and delicious crumbles of bacon are a perfect topping for cornbread.
Please, share your favorite topping ideas for cornbread in the comments below. We would be happy to try them!
Can You Freeze Cornbread?
Yes, you can store this cornbread for 2-3 months in the freezer. To freeze, double wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
Of course, thawed cornbread doesn’t taste the same as fresh (it may become more crumbly). I rarely freeze leftover cornbread. I prefer to serve it fresh.
- - 1 cup cornmeal;
- - 1 cup all-purpose flour;
- - ½ cup granulated sugar;
- - 3 tsp baking powder;
- - ½ tsp salt;
- - 1 ¼ cups milk;
- - 2 large eggs;
- - ⅓ cup vegetable oil;
- - 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted;
- - 2 tbsp honey.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and the sides of an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- In another bowl whisk together the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, vegetable oil, melted butter, and honey). Add to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until it begins to brown and is ready. Check the readiness of the sweet cornbread using a toothpick inserted in the center, if it comes out clean - the cornbread is ready.
- Remove from the oven. Let the cornbread cool for 10 minutes. Then, slice and serve warm with butter or a drizzle of honey!