Meet rice and beans and chicken burrito’s love child! This chicken burrito skillet can be classified under either one of these categories.
Slowly simmered rice with chicken cubes, beans, and tomatoes, seasoned with taco seasoning and topped with shredded cheddar cheese that tastes Tex-Mex heaven.
Of all the chopped chicken recipes I’ve tried, this one is my absolute favorite. Chicken and black beans go so well with rice, and the rice absorbs the juice from the diced tomatoes and becomes this rich reddish color that is very appealing.
You can use your favorite burrito ad-on as toppings, and this is how a perfect dish is born!
I think chicken and rice were meant for each other, and these dishes prove it! Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup is the ultimate comfort dish, Smothered Chicken and Rice is the perfect casserole, Quick Chicken and Rice Recipe is another delicious one-skillet recipe, and Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole, the perfect quick and easy dinner!
“The full recipe with ingredients can be found in the recipe card below.”
How To Make Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken pieces. Add the onion and bell peppers. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and minced garlic, and cook for a minute more.
- Rinse and drain the black beans, and add them to the skillet along with the diced tomatoes and green chiles.
- Pour in the water and the rice. Adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything up and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and put the lid on.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove the lid and mix in ½ cup of Cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top for serving as well as your favorite toppings.
The list can be as short or as long as your imagination! Here is a list of my favorite toppings:
- Pickled onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced black olives
What Goes with a Chicken Burrito Skillet?
You could serve it with warm tortillas and have everyone make their burritos, or if you want to stick with this tortilla-free burrito skillet, you could serve a side salad with it.
This type of meal could always use a salad with a tangy dressing. These flavors go well together. Try it with Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad!
Guacamole is also a great addition to this meal. Serve a great Mexican-inspired dessert-like churro, tres leches cake or flan!
- Before adding the chicken pieces to the skillet, make sure the skillet and oil are hot. Otherwise, the chicken will not brown but boil.
- Remember to drain and rinse the black beans. Otherwise, their juice will make the rice black. The juice is very thick as well, so it could make the rice harder to cook.
- The rice will not cook properly unless you put the lid on and reduce the heat. If you cook at too high a temperature, the water will evaporate before cooking the rice.
- After you add the water and rice, mix everything and try the liquid for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1- 1.25 oz taco seasoning packet
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Rotel)
- 1 ½ cups instant rice, uncooked
- 1- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the chicken pieces. Add the onion, green and yellow bell peppers until the onion is translucent. Add the taco seasoning and minced garlic, and cook for a minute more. Mix in the diced tomatoes with green chiles and black beans.
- Pour in the water and add the rice. Mix everything well, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and put the lid on. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the rice is cooked. Mix ½ cup of cheddar into the cooked rice and use the other ½ cup for topping. Serve with your favorite burrito ad-on.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 11.5gCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 30g