We are now officially well into soup weather, and yesterday I made creamy chicken and rice soup. I’ve had canned cream of chicken soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken tortilla soup, and a lot of other chicken soups, but I had never had homemade cream of chicken and rice soup.
Let me tell you. This is a game-changer for me. It is very creamy but doesn’t feel like a heavy soup. This recipe makes the perfect chicken and rice soup with a lovely creamy twist. My kids loved it. It is hearty, satisfying, and velvety.
How To Make Chicken and Rice Soup?
- In a 3-quart Dutch oven or pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat and saute the carrots, celery, and onion until they are tender for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and pour in the chicken stock. Add the fresh thyme sprigs and chopped fresh parsley, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour and evaporated milk together until smooth, and pour this mixture into the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cooked chicken cubes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 3 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
If you have any leftovers, place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you wish to freeze this soup, let it cool completely and store it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Label it with the date, and freeze it for up to 4 months.
- If you want a thicker soup, add an extra tablespoon of flour to the evaporated milk.
- If you don’t have butter, you can use vegetable oil to saute the veggies, but I highly recommend butter.
- Season with salt and pepper until the end. As the soup cooks, it will evaporate, and if you add salt before this, it might become too salty.
- Use a whisk to mix the flour and evaporated milk to prevent lumps from forming.
Soup season just started and if you want to try a few more recipes, Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup is one of my favorites. Another great one is Hamburger Macaroni Soup Recipe (Ready in 35 Mins!), which my kids just gobble up! Easy Beefy Mexican Rice Soup, is a complete meal in itself, and Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup will make you feel like you’re eating out!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup white rice
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs or ¼ teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1- 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- In a 3-quart Dutch oven or pot, melt the butter and saute the chopped carrot, celery, and onion until tender, about 5 minutes
- Stir in the rice and pour in the chicken stock, thyme, and parsley. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour into the evaporated milk and add it to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked chicken and simmer until heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 10.5gUnsaturated Fat: 10.5gCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 13g