Who doesn’t like chicken, ham, and melted cheese? Cordon Bleu is a delicious way to eat chicken, but making it can be very time-consuming, so when I found this chicken cordon bleu casserole recipe, I tried it immediately. It’s fast, easy, and delicious.
How To Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
- We start by making the sauce. Add the milk, cream cheese, dried minced onion, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste in a small saucepan. Con on medium heat, frequently whisking until the cheese and milk are well incorporated, and a smooth texture is achieved. Set aside.
- While the sauce is cooking, boil the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add the cubed chicken and ham and pour in the sauce and shredded cheese. Mix everything.
- Place the pasta mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Top the pasta mixture evenly with the panko breadcrumbs and drizzle the melted butter on top.
- Turn on the broiler on high and broil for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
If you wish to make this casserole ahead of time, you can make the pasta mixture, place it in the baking dish, wait for it to cool completely, and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 3 days until you are ready to bake it.
I would recommend waiting until the day you will bake it to add the breadcrumbs and melted butter. If you add them ahead of time, they will become soggy and not crisp up in the oven.
- If you feel the sauce is thick, use a bit of the pasta cooking water to thin it a bit.
- If you don’t have penne, any short pasta will work.
- Be careful when broiling the casserole. It can burn quickly.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 ½ cup chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 ½ cup ham, cooked and cubed
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1- 8 z brick of cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- To make the sauce: place the cream cheese, milk, dried minced onion, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until cream cheese and milk are well incorporated. For best results, use a whisk.
- While you are making the sauce, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the cubed chicken and ham.
- Mix in the shredded cheese and sauce
- Place the pasta mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish
- Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs evenly on top and drizzle with melted butter. Turn on the broiler on high and broil for about 5 minutes or until brown on top