This Mexican chicken casserole with rice tastes like a deconstructed burrito minus the tortilla. It’s like heaven in a bowl. Steaming white rice and chunks of chicken are baked with a mixture of cream of chicken and mushrooms and salsa, all topped with gooey melted cheese.
I love to bake a great chicken rice casserole because I know my kids will love it, and this one was no exception. It disappeared in record time.
You can choose the level of spicy you want in the salsa according to your taste. This one is a total winner!
How To Make Salsa Chicken And Rice Casserole?
- Have all your ingredients prepped and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cream of chicken and mushroom soups, dried cumin, parsley, coriander, chopped onion, red bell pepper, and salsa until well combined.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and start assembling the casserole.
- Spoon half of the cooked rice on the bottom of the casserole dish. Add half of the chicken on top of the rice.
- Pour half of the soup/salsa mixture on top of the chicken. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of the soup/salsa mixture.
- Repeat the layers and bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Always shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheeses don’t melt as well as freshly shredded cheeses because they have added ingredients to prevent them from sticking.
- Do not use overcooked rice. Cook the rice is just until done but firm. Remember it will keep on cooking.
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
- Choose the amount of heat you wish your dish to have by choosing mild, medium, or hot salsa.
- Serve immediately. Cheese tends to harden as it gets cold.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers?
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze for 4 months.
To reheat, place the refrigerated leftovers in the microwave and reheat for 2 minutes on high. If not hot enough, add 30 seconds at a time until it reaches the desired temperature.
You can also reheat it in a preheated 350 F oven, covered with foil, for 15 minutes or until hot. If your leftovers are frozen, thaw them in the fridge overnight, and once thawed, reheat according to previous instructions.
Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole
- 4 cups white rice, cooked
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into cubes
- 4 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1- 10.75 oz condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1- 10.75 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1- 15 oz jar salsa (I like medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soups, cumin, parsley, and coriander
- Add the chopped onion and red bell pepper
- Mix in the salsa and stir until all is well combined
- To assemble the casserole, lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and add half of the rice
- Add half of the cooked chicken over the rice
- Pour half of the soup/salsa mixture on top of the chicken
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat the layers and bake for 40 mins or until hot and bubbly