Loaded chicken and potato casserole is the perfect combination of tender and juicy chicken breasts, crispy potatoes, bacon crumbs, cheese, and spices. This chicken potato casserole is so easy to make, it cannot be messed up.
This appetizing and nutritious chicken potato casserole is made from simple ingredients and is very satisfying. The recipe is very easy and doesn’t require much effort. Prepping takes only 15 minutes. Most of the time will be spent baking it.
I guarantee this chicken potato bake will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. It will soon become one of your family’s favorite recipes.
Ingredients You’ll need:
- Chicken breasts: You will need about 3 medium chicken breasts, boneless and skinless.
- Potatoes: You can use Red potatoes, Yukon Gold, or Russet potatoes.
- Olive oil: Makes chicken and potatoes moist and keeps them from burning or drying out.
- Unsalted butter: Adds a nice buttery flavor.
- Smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper: are my spices of choice to enhance their flavor.
- Crushed red chili flakes: Add a bit of heat to the dish. You can use hot sauce instead if you don’t have them at hand.
- Colby Jack cheese: This is my favorite cheese, but you can use cheddar, Monterey Jack, or any other cheese of your choice.
- Bacon: Gives an amazing smokey flavor and a bit of a crunch.
How To Make Chicken Potato Casserole?
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the cubed chicken and potatoes to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, melted butter, smoked paprika, garlic powder, crushed red chili flakes, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour over cubed chicken and potatoes. Stir until all pieces are covered with the olive oil mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly. Bake for 45-55 minutes, stirring every 10-15 to ensure they cook evenly.
Once cooked, remove from the oven and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Next, add the bacon crumbs and green onions on top of them and finish with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes more until the cheese melts. Enjoy!
Variations & subtitles:
- Add more spice by adding 1-2 chopped or sliced jalapeno peppers.
- Use sriracha sauce instead of crushed chili flakes.
- Use chicken thighs (boneless and skinless) instead of chicken breasts.
- Add carrots or celery.
Tips for the BEST Chicken Potato Casserole:
- Don’t overbake this loaded chicken and potato casserole because the chicken could dry out.
- You can skip the crushed red chili flakes if you don’t like spicy food.
- You can easily half the ingredients for this recipe if the serving size (for 6 persons) is too big for your family.
- Use a regular baking sheet if you don’t have a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and Store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 28.6gSaturated Fat: 12.9gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 869mgCarbohydrates: 14.4gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 26.1g