Don’t let this simple mushroom pasta recipe fool you. It may be very easy and quick to make, but it is full of flavor and delicious.
The mushrooms are sauteed with garlic, chopped fresh parsley, and red pepper flakes, while the sauce is made with white wine, chicken stock, and heavy cream. All this is topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a very fancy-looking pasta dish!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Fettuccine pasta. These wide noodles can hold the amazingly creamy sauce very well
- Butter. I like to use unsalted butter to avoid excess salt
- Olive oil keeps the butter from burning when using it to saute the mushrooms
- Mushrooms. I like to use sliced baby Bella, but you can use your favorite sliced mushrooms
- Garlic cloves minced for aroma and flavor
- Red pepper flakes for a bit of spice
- Fresh parsley, chopped for flavor and color
- White wine to deglaze the skillet and cut down the heaviness of the heavy cream
- Chicken stock helps make the sauce
- Heavy cream is the creamiest ingredient in this recipe. You can use half and half for a lighter version
- Parmesan cheese to thicken the sauce and as a final touch on top.
How to make creamy mushroom pasta?
This simple mushroom pasta comes together in these easy steps:
- Cook the fettuccine according to package instructions in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of cooking water and drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sautee the sliced mushrooms until slightly brown and almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add chopped fresh parsley and red pepper flakes.
Deglaze the skillet with white wine, scraping the bottom of the skillet. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir in the chicken stock, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Mix in the cooked drained pasta and stir until fully covered with sauce. If you feel your sauce is too thick, stir in some of the pasta cooking water. Serve with extra parmesan cheese and chopped parsley on top.
What to serve with creamy mushroom pasta?
You can serve this easy mushroom pasta as a main dish or as a side dish. If you want to add protein to your meal, the Best Lemon Butter Chicken is equally as easy and a great entree option.
If you are a fish person, try the Best Garlic Parmesan Flounder Recipe. Both options pair nicely well with mushroom pasta. Your meal will be complete with a creamy Philadelphia Classic Cheesecake, or tangy Mini Lemon Drop Cakes.
For great results, follow these tips:
- Don’t forget to save some of the pasta cooking water. You will need to use it if your sauce is too thick.
- If you are serving this dish to kids, avoid adding red pepper flakes.
- Cook the mushrooms until most of the liquid has evaporated or your sauce will be too thin.
- Be careful not to add too much salt, remember that parmesan cheese is salty.
- Creamy pasta sauces thicken as they cool down, so serve it immediately.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- 12 oz fettuccine pasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped, divided
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup white wine
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (more for topping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, drain, and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil.
- Saute the mushrooms until brown and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add minced garlic, two tablespoons of chopped parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Deglaze the skillet with white wine and simmer until reduced by half. Stir in the chicken stock, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Mix in the drained fettuccine and serve with extra parmesan cheese and the remaining tablespoon of parsley on top. If the sauce is too thick, thin it out with a bit of the reserved pasta cooking water.