Plain white rice has little flavor, so I’m always looking for a great rice recipe. This garlic mushroom rice really hits the spot. I could eat it all by itself. In this rice and mushroom recipe, the sauteed mushrooms, onions, and garlic give amazing flavor to the vegetable broth the rice cooks in.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Butter and olive oil will both be used to saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic
- Mushrooms: I love baby Bella, but you can use your favorite mushrooms
- Onions and garlic: really enhance the flavor of the sauteed mushrooms
- Long-grain white rice: again, you can use the rice of your choice. If you’re using brown rice, just use double the amount of water to the rice
- Vegetable broth: we’ll use this instead of water for cooking the rice
- Parsley: chopped fresh parsley for flavor as well as color
- Green onions: add a touch of freshness and crunch to the cooked rice.
How to make Mushroom Rice?
To make this amazing rice and mushroom recipe, follow these simple steps:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, and saute half of the mushrooms until browned. Season with salt and pepper and reserve
- Using the same pot, melt the butter and remaining olive oil and saute the chopped onions and garlic until translucent. Add the other half of the sliced mushrooms and cook until lightly browned
- Add the rice and about ¼ cup of vegetable broth to deglaze the pot. Stir to release all the brown bits and pieces stuck to the bottom.
- Pour in the rest of the broth, add freshly chopped parsley, and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and there is no liquid left in the pot
- Remove from heat and stir in the reserved browned mushrooms and sliced green onions. Put the lid on and let the cooked rice sit for about 10 minutes. Serve warm
How to store garlic mushroom rice?
Store any leftover rice in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 3 days. Place any leftovers in a microwave-safe dish, add a splash of water, and reheat until it reaches the desired temperature.
How to serve it?
Garlic mushroom rice can be served as a side dish to any protein entree, or as a main dish. If you wish to serve it as a side dish, consider the following recipes to serve it with: Southern Fried Catfish is a deliciously crispy, and flaky way to eat your favorite fish.
If you like creamy chicken entrees, my Creamy Herb Chicken Recipe and Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken are both delicious. If you’re a beef lover, this amazing Three Packet Slow Cooker Roast practically makes itself and is to die for!
Our Favorite Mushroom Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1.5 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ cups long-grain white rice
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add half of the sliced mushrooms and saute until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, remove and set aside
- In the same pot, melt the butter and remaining tablespoon of olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until translucent
- Add the remaining half of the mushrooms and cook until brown
- Mix in the rice and ¼ cup of vegetable stock to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom to release any browned bits and pieces stuck to it
- Pour in the rest of the vegetable broth, and add the chopped parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and there is no liquid left in the bottom of the pot
- Remove from the heat and stir in the reserved browned mushrooms and sliced green onions. Cover and let stan for about 10 minutes more. Serve warm