Crockpot Beef Stroganoff is a tender morsel of beef that has been slow-cooked in the most delicious creamy gravy easily made using sauteed onions and garlic, mushrooms, beef broth, red wine, and heavy cream. All of this is spooned over freshly cooked egg noodles for the most fantastic, hearty, and filling meal. Follow the instructions and make this easy crockpot Beef Stroganoff for dinner tonight.
Ingredients you’ll need for crockpot Beef Stroganoff:
- Stewing beef. I recommend you trim the excess fat from the beef pieces for a more tender result.
- Onion and garlic are always the aromatics of choice for making a tasty gravy.
- Red wine will give depth of flavor to the gravy and help us deglaze the skillet and pick up all the bits and pieces of beef left on the pan after browning which provide a lot of flavor.
- The beef broth will be the base for our gravy.
- Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce provide umami flavor to the gravy and give it a touch of acidity to balance the fat on the heavy cream.
- Mushrooms are the veggies of choice for traditional Beef Stroganoff.
- Heavy cream will make the gravy creamy and rich. You can use sour cream or half and half as well.
- Cornstarch is used to thicken the gravy for the perfect consistency.
- Egg noodles to spoon the Beef Stroganoff over and make this a complete meal.
How to make Beef Stroganoff from scratch?
Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and brown the meat on all sides. Pour the red wine over the meat to deglaze the skillet scraping the bottom to remove all the bits and pieces stuck to it.
Add the beef and wine mixture to the crockpot along with the chopped onion, minced garlic, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sliced mushrooms, fresh thyme, and 1 ½ cups of beef broth. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8.
15 minutes before the cooking time is over, make a slurry with the remaining ½ cup of beef broth with the cornstarch and add it to the crockpot.
Stir in the heavy cream, unplug the pot and spoon the meat and gravy over cooked egg noodles.
How long to cook Beef Stroganoff in a crockpot?
You can cook it on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4h. Cooking it on low gives you the chance to do it overnight, that way in the morning all you have to do is to add the cornstarch slurry and cook for an additional 15 mins.
Pour in the heavy cream and you are done with it. At dinnertime, just cook the egg noodles, reheat the sauce and serve!
What to serve with Beef Stroganoff?
All you need is some amazing dessert. Here are some ideas: New York Style Cheesecake Cupcakes and Easy Boston Cream Poke Cake.
If you want a fresher-tasting dessert, try my Mini Lemon Drop Cakes or The Best Lemon Brownies with Glaze. You’ll love them!
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff with Noodles?
Yes, you can, but I will give you the perfect hint to make it taste freshly made. Unplug the slow cooker after the addition of the slurry and let the Crockpot Beef Stroganoff cool down.
Do not add heavy cream. Creamy sauces do not freeze well. Once it has cooled down, you can store it in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze it for up to 3 months. Once you’re ready to use it, heat it up in a pot and then add the heavy cream.
Also, do not freeze with the noodles mixed in. Noodles do not thaw well. Cook the noodles the day you plan to serve them as well.
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff is a hearty and delicious meal of tender beef morsels and the most amazing creamy gravy with onions and mushrooms.
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, fat trimmed off
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ red wine
- 1 cup of onion, small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth, divided
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 oz egg noodles
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and sear the meat on all sides. Pour the red wine and deglaze the skillet to pick up all the browned pieces from the bottom.
- Place the meat with the wine, onions, garlic, mushrooms, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 ½ cups of beef broth into the pot of the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.
- 15 minutes before the cooking time is over, make a slurry with the remaining ½ cup of broth and the cornstarch. Mix it into the liquid and continue to cook the meat for the remaining 15 mins until the sauce has thickened. At this time, cook the egg noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Once the cooking time is over, unplug the slow cooker and mix in the heavy cream. Check the seasoning and adjust the salt and pepper. Add the cooked noodles to the crock pot and stir everything together. Serve with freshly chopped parsley on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 757Total Fat: 17gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2.7gProtein: 38g