Bored with bland chicken recipes? Outback Alice Springs chicken will take those bland chicken blues away! It is packed full of flavor. Let me tell you how it’s done.
Perfectly browned chicken is slathered with delicious homemade honey mustard, topped with crispy bacon, a blend of cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses, sliced mushrooms, and then baked until the cheeses melt on top of everything.
Your family will enjoy every bite and ask for seconds, so I have to double this Alice Springs chicken recipe most of the time. I guarantee you will love it.
How To Make Alice Springs Chicken?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Using a cast iron or oven-safe skillet, cook the bacon strips until crispy. Remove them from the skillet and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Do not discard the fat.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. While the skillet is still hot, brown the chicken breasts in the remaining bacon fat until brown on both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayo, and dried onion flakes.
- Slather the chicken breasts with the honey mustard sauce you just made.
- Place one or two bacon slices on top of each breast.
- Divide the cheeses evenly on top of the chicken and bacon.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms over the chicken breasts and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheeses are melted, and the chicken is cooked through.
- Before placing the chicken breasts in the skillet, make sure the remaining bacon fat, and the skillet, are hot. Otherwise, the chicken will not brown properly.
- Do not buy pre-shredded cheeses. Not only are they more expensive, but they do not melt properly. Shred your cheese. Pre-shredded cheeses have ingredients added to prevent them from sticking, making them melt perfectly.
- I like to cut my bacon strips in half. This way, I can add two short strips to each breast, and this way, I make sure the whole breast is covered with bacon.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 4-6 bacon slices (depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. in an oven-safe skillet, cook the bacon until crispy and do not discard the fat. Place cooked bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. While the skillet is still hot, brown the chicken breasts on both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayo, and dried onion flakes. Using a spoon or brush, slather the mixture over the chicken breasts
- Top each breast with a slice or two of crispy bacon
- Divide the cheeses evenly over the chicken breasts and top with the sliced mushrooms. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheeses are melted, and the chicken is fully cooked.