This recipe is amazing! Thai basil chicken, or pad krapao, is so amazingly good your taste buds won’t know what hit them. It is simple to make, it comes together really fast once you have all your prep done, and you will want to make it over and over again.
You can say it’s like a Thai basil stir fry, so you will need a very hot skillet or wok to prepare this delicious basil chicken recipe, and in less than ten minutes, it’s done.
I love Asian dishes, and this one will go to the top of my list of favorites.
How To Make Spicy Thai Basil Chicken?
This dish comes together fast once you have all your ingredients prepped, so first, have everything ready.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and chicken stock in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Cook the chopped chicken until no pink is left, about 3 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the sliced shallots, minced garlic, grated ginger, and minced chilies. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook over high heat until the sauce is reduced completely and glazed the chicken.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sliced basil and cooked green beans.
- Serve with cooked, hot white rice.
What To Serve With Thai Basil Chicken?
White rice is the perfect side dish for Thai basil chicken. I also like to serve it with lime wedges because I think a little bit of fresh lime juice does wonders for this dish.
Thai iced tea is also a fantastic addition to this spicy meal, and if you want to make an authentic Thai feast, I would recommend a serving of fresh green papaya salad.
- Make sure your skillet is hot before starting to make this dish. You need a hot skillet to make this Thai stir fry a success.
- Taste the chicken after adding the sauce to see if it needs more sauce or oyster sauce.
- Thai chilies can be very hot, so add a bit less if you don’t like your food too spicy. If, on the contrary, you like extra spicy food, add more.
- If you want more veggies, you can also add sliced red bell peppers.
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Thai chilies, minced
- 1 cup sliced Thai basil leaves (regular basil is ok)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup green beans, cooked (optional)
- In a small bowl, make a sauce by combining the oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and chicken broth
- Chop the chicken thighs into small cubes, and have all your ingredients prepped
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until no pink is left. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, and chilies. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and cook until reduced to almost nothing and the chicken is glazed with It
- Remove from heat and stir in the sliced basil and cooked green beans. Serve with cooked hot white rice.