When not all members of your family are vegan, it’s hard to prepare meals that we can all enjoy together. One of my three children is vegan, so I’ve had to learn to “veganize” some of their favorite foods, like nuggets.
I found this tofu nuggets recipe that satisfies both parties. They truly taste like real chicken nuggets.
The use of nutritional yeast is key for passing the taste test. It gives them an amazing flavor. This is the best tofu nuggets recipe I’ve ever tried.
How To Make Tofu Nuggets?
Before making your nuggets, you need to press the tofu for at least 30 minutes. Do this by wrapping the tofu in a kitchen towel and placing something heavy like a cast iron pan over it. This will release the excess moisture from the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch slices and then into 1-inch cubes.
- Make the marinade by whisking together the olive oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, tapioca starch, salt, and pepper in an airtight container. Add the tofu cubes to the container, put the lid on, and give them a shake. Make sure they are all covered with the marinade.
- Toss the cubes into a separate bowl containing the nutritional yeast. Give them a shake until fully covered with it. I recommend you do this in batches.
- Place the cubes in the basket of your air fryer, set it to 375 F on the air fry setting, and cook for 12 minutes or until brown and crispy. Serve while hot.
Tofu Nuggets Variations
You can vary the taste of the nuggets by varying the marinade and the coating.
- Make them Italian by marinating with oil and Italian seasoning and coating them with seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Make the marinade with a barbecue sauce base, a squirt of apple cider vinegar, and a hot sauce. Coat with panko breadcrumbs seasoned with paprika, garlic powder, dried parsley, and onion powder.
- Add Indian spices like garam masala, cumin, and coriander to the marinade.
How To Store and Freeze Tofu Nuggets?
To store them, first, you have to wait until they are completely at room temperature. If you place them in the fridge or freezer while hot, they will sweat and become soggy.
After they cool down completely, place them in an airtight container and into the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze them in freezer bags for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply defrost and place in them in a preheated 350 F for 15 mins, or air fry again for 5 minutes.
Tofu Nuggets Recipe
- 1- 16oz block firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- Wrap tofu with a kitchen towel, place it on a plate, and press it with a cast-iron skillet or something heavy for at least 30 mins.
- Unwrap tofu and cut into 1 inch squares.
- In an airtight container, whisk together the olive oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, tapioca, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Add the tofu cubes to the marinade and shake until all cubes are well coated.
- Toss the coated cubes in nutritional yeast and place them in the basket of your air fryer.
- Air fry at 375 F for 12 minutes. Serve while hot.