We all want to eat delicious food but let’s face it. We don’t always have the time to make very elaborate recipes. Stuffed cabbage rolls are unique dishes that take a long time to complete. If you love this dish as much as I do, unstuffed cabbage rolls will change the way you make it forever.
There is no need to make it into rolls. Unstuffed cabbage casserole has the same fantastic flavor as the original, without hard work.
This dish comes together in no time, and you can slow cook it, bake it or cook it on the stovetop. You can make unstuffed cabbage soup, too, if you add a bit more liquid. This is a winning recipe!
How To Make Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls?
- Using a large skillet or medium-sized dutch oven, brown the meat with the onions and garlic until no pink is left, about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, rice, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hour, with the lid on, stirring occasionally. You can also cook it in a 350 F oven for 1 hour or slow cook it for 3 hours in the crockpot.
What To Serve with Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls?
This dish already has rice, but my family likes it served on top of an extra portion of rice. I think all this dish needs is a slice of delicious crusty and toasted bread, but you can serve a side salad of mixed greens if you want to add something extra to the meal.
- You can substitute ground beef for ground pork, chicken, or turkey.
- If you are using the crockpot, brown the meat along with the onion and garlic, transfer to the crockpot, add the rest of the ingredients, give it a mix, and slow cook for 3-4 hours.
- After the cooking time is over, taste it and adjust the seasoning with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- If you want to make unstuffed cabbage soup, add 1 ½ cups of chicken or beef broth.
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup minute white rice
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2- 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized Dutch oven, cook the meat, onions, and garlic until no pink is left on the meat.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, rice, parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, put the lid on, and simmer for about 1 ½ hour on low heat, stirring occasionally. You can also place it in a 350 F oven for 1 hour or slow cook for 3 hours in the crockpot.