Tilapia is a very mild-tasting white flesh fish that really needs other ingredients to elevate its flavor. In this parmesan-crusted tilapia recipe, the breading is made especially flavorful by adding parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, freshly chopped parsley, and garlic powder. Give this tilapia recipe parmesan a try!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Tilapia fillets: 4 thawed-out filets
- Panko breadcrumbs: these truly make for a very crispy outside crust
- Parmesan cheese: freshly grated Parmesan for the best flavor
- Italian seasoning and garlic powder: to flavor the breading
- Lime juice: filets will be placed in lime juice before breading them
- Parsley: freshly chopped
- Olive oil: drizzle over the breaded filets.
How to make it?
- Make the breading by mixing the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, fresh parsley, salt, and pepper. Place breading mixture in a shallow dish
- On another shallow dish, place the lime juice
- Tap dry the filets and place them one by one in the lime juice (on both sides). Season with salt and pepper
- After the lime juice bath, dredge them in the breading on both sides and place them on a foil-covered baking sheet
- Drizzle them with olive oil and bake in a preheated 425 F oven for 15-20 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
Can you use frozen fish?
Sure you can! Just make sure it has completely thawed out before using it. It is also important that you pat the filets dry so they can absorb all the wonderful flavors in the breading mix and the lime juice.
Can I use a different kind of fish?
You can. If you are looking for a similar mild-tasting white fish you can use Catfish, Cod, Pollock, Flounder, Haddock, Sole, or Halibut.
What other seasonings could I use?
If you are looking to enhance your parmesan-crusted tilapia recipe, you can add more flavor to the breading mix by adding:
- Lemon or lime zest
- Old bay seasoning
- Dried basil and oregano, if you don’t have Italian seasoning
- Fresh minced garlic
- Italian flavored breadcrumbs
What do you serve with Tilapia?
The best side dish for the Parmesan-crusted Tilapia recipe is, in my opinion, my Garlic Butter Rice Recipe. If you are a potatoes kind of person, I recommend my Green Beans, Bacon and Potatoes Recipe, or my easy Crock Pot Potatoes Recipe. They are both very good.
For dessert, I think The Best Lemon Brownies with Glaze or my Mini Lemon Drop Cakes are more than fitting!
Fast and Easy Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
- 4 tilapia filets (thawed and patted dry)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Make the breading mixture by combining the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Place lime juice in a second shallow dish
- Dredge the fish: place it in the lime juice (both sides), season with salt and pepper, then place it in the breading mixture (both sides). Transfer the breaded filets to a foil-lined greased baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the fillets and bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through