Are you looking for a delicious, simple, and inexpensive side dish that your family and friends will love? Try this easy creamy cornbread casserole. It is moist, flavorful, and just falls apart in your mouth. It has whole corn kernels inside which give it an amazing texture and extra punch of corn flavoring without being overpowering. Creamy cornbread casserole goes great with a hot bowl of chilly on those cold winter nights.
Ingredients needed to make Creamy Cornbread Casserole:
- Whole-kernel corn: Any canned whole-kernel corn will do. If you want this to be a budget-friendly side, you can go with the generic brands. Just remember to reserve half of the liquid from the can. I poured the liquid into a wet measuring cup and then just poured out half of that liquid.
- Cream-style corn: We won’t be draining any liquid from this one. You just open the can and pour it into the bowl.
- Eggs: The eggs are used to give the creamy cornbread recipe a bread-like appearance.
- Dry cornbread mix: For this, I used the Jiffy brand, the box was 8.5 ounces and was extremely budget-friendly. You will need exactly this amount.
- Sour cream: sour cream is what makes this casserole so creamy and gives it that delicious fall-apart-in-your-mouth texture. This one is also an easy measure, just make sure you get an 8-ounce container of sour cream and just use all of it. It makes 1 cup.
- Cheddar cheese: I always recommend you shred your own cheese. For this recipe, you will need 8 oz. You can also use pre-shredded cheddar. Mild, medium, or sharp. Whichever you like best.
Make The BEST Cornbread Casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, reserved liquid from the whole-kernel corn, 2 eggs, dry cornbread mix, and sour cream. Mix until all ingredients are well combined, but don’t overmix… Pour the batter into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar over the top evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden brown.
Tips for the best Creamy Cornbread Casserole:
- Don’t overmix the ingredients, overmixing can lead to a denser cornbread casserole recipe and it might even end up a bit dry and crumbly.
- Check the casserole a few minutes before the baking time is up and keep an eye on the cheese. If it gets too dark, it will become crunchy instead of gooey and melted.
- If you want your creamy cornbread recipe to be extra cheesy, shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese doesn’t melt as well as freshly shredded.
- This cornbread casserole recipe is best served warm while the cheese is still melty. Feel free to add a bit of melted butter on the top or add a touch of honey for some sweetness.
What goes well with cornbread casserole?
Make ahead and storage instructions:
You can certainly prepare the batter for this delicious casserole the day before, but I would recommend holding off on adding the cheese until right before baking it.
Once all the ingredients are mixed up and added to the casserole dish, cover it with either foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to bake it, pull the casserole dish out of the refrigerator and let it sit for 35 to 40 minutes so it can get to room temperature before adding the shredded cheese on top and placing it in the hot oven.
Reheat cornbread casserole:
I would recommend reheating this cornbread casserole recipe in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
If you are pulling your casserole dish straight out of the refrigerator, I would let it sit on the counter for about 35 to 40 minutes, allowing it to get to room temperature before placing it in the oven so the heat doesn’t crack your glass dish.
Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes, I would check it after 10 minutes and then see if it needs to be warmed up some more.
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained, but keep half the liquid
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package dry cornbread mix (Jiffy works great)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Combine the whole-kernel corn, reserved liquid, cream-style corn, eggs, dry cornbread mix, and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Stir until well blended (don’t overmix). Pour batter into the greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the casserole evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown. Check after 25 minutes to make sure the cheese isn’t getting overcooked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 460mgFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g