I think a lot of cultures have their rice desserts very ingrained in their cuisines, and homemade rice pudding is one of them. I have had it in several Latin American countries and Europe.
This old-fashioned rice pudding recipe is my grandma’s, and it tastes like comfort to me. It is the easiest to make because she makes it in the oven. No standing over it, mix and bake.
I love it because it is a very creamy rice pudding and not overly sweet. I love to eat it very cold. Just right out of the fridge, but it is delicious hot as well. Please try it. It is the easiest of the rice pudding recipes.
How To Make Rice Pudding?
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a 1-quart baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients into the baking dish, stir it and bake for 15 minutes.
- Give the pudding another stir and keep baking for 45 minutes more, or until the rice is tender and almost all the liquid is absorbed. Some ovens may take less than one hour to accomplish this.
- Sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top and serve hot or cold.
Can I Make Rice Pudding with Cooked Rice?
You can, but I would recommend making it on the stovetop. Place the cooked rice and all the ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan and cook on medium heat until almost all the liquid has been absorbed for about 20 minutes.
Some people add a beaten egg into the mixture to make the pudding easier.
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4-5 days. Honestly, rice pudding gets better after a day in the refrigerator.
To reheat, I recommend doing it in the microwave or the stovetop, if you like your rice pudding hot. If you feel it gets a bit thicker as the days go by, you can add a bit of milk to it and stir.
- Butter flavor cooking spray
- ⅔ cups MInute rice
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice mix
- Pinch of salt
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 1-quart baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray and add all ingredients into the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes, give it a stir, and continue baking for 45 minutes more. Stir it before serving.