You have found THE original pumpkin dessert with yellow cake mix! This Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Dump Cake recipe is a nostalgic favorite, made with buttery cake layers and comforting pumpkin filling. One bite of this pumpkin dump cake will never be enough!
How Long Can You Keep This Dump Cake Recipe in the Fridge?
The very best way to store leftover pumpkin dump cake is in its original baking pan. Tightly cover the cake with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge!
This Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Dump Cake can be refrigerated for up to five days. Due to the pumpkin filling, it is not recommended to store the cake at room temperature.
Are you baking for someone with a diet restriction or food sensitivity? Never fear! This cake can be made in several different ways.
Swap out the whole milk and butter for an alternative non-dairy version to make this recipe dairy-free. To make this recipe nut-free, simply omit the pecans.
This dessert tastes delicious, even when made in advance! Make this dump cake the day before and store it in the refrigerator until about thirty minutes before serving.
Add a dollop of ice cream and you’ve got a no-fuss cake that will fool everyone into thinking you spent hours in the kitchen!
Can You Freeze This Pumpkin Dump Cake?
To freeze this pumpkin dump cake, bake it in a foil 9X13 pan. Allow the cake to cool completely for about three hours.
Tightly wrap the foil pan in plastic wrap, followed by two layers of tin foil. Write the date and name of the cake on the foil and store it in the freezer for up to three months. To defrost, place it in the refrigerator the night before and let it thaw naturally.
Most Popular Easy Dessert Recipes
- Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Cake
- The Best Banana Pudding Recipe
- Italian Cream Cheese Cake
- Impossibly Easy Coconut Pie
- Raspberry and Coconut Loaf Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix, divided
- 12 tablespoons of butter (1-1/2 sticks), divided
- 4 eggs, divided
- 2 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and evenly grease a 9X13 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix, reserving one cup for later, one egg, and eight tablespoons of melted butter. Stir until well combined, then press it into an even layer in the prepared dish.
- Use the same mixing bowl to combine the canned pumpkin, three eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, brown sugar, milk, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Whisk it well, then pour the pumpkin mixture over the bottom layer.
- Continue using the same mixing bowl and mix together the reserved one cup of cake mix, four tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of sugar, and the pecans. The mixture will be crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture over the pumpkin mixture, coating the pumpkin layer as evenly as possible.
- Bake the pumpkin dump cake for one hour on the bottom oven rack.
- Let cool for at least thirty minutes to serve warm or chill for three hours before serving. Store Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Dump Cake in the refrigerator for up to five days or see freezing instructions below.