You know those days when you feel like you need a hug? Bake this chicken and dumpling casserole. It feels like a warm hug. It is one of the most comforting foods I can think of. Delicious and gooey chicken filling with a warm dumpling top that melts in your mouth.
This baked chicken and dumplings recipe is so much easier than the one where you add spoonfuls of batter to a chicken soup. It is made in layers, so minimal mixing is required. It works like magic.
You will not believe the result you get just by baking these layers. It surprised me. It felt a bit liquid when I made it, but it resulted in a perfect chicken dumpling casserole!
“The full recipe with ingredients can be found in the recipe card below.”
How To Make Chicken and Dumpling Casserole?
This casserole is done by layers that are not meant to be mixed. Believe it or not, it works.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, and place the stick of butter in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish inside the oven to melt.
- Place the shredded chicken in a single layer evenly on top of the melted butter. Spoon the finely chopped onion and bell peppers evenly on top of the chicken layer and sprinkle them with the poultry seasoning and black pepper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the Bisquick, milk, and salt. Pour this mixture slowly and evenly on top of the veggies.
- Mix the cream of chicken soup with the chicken stock in a small bowl, and pour this mixture slowly and evenly on top of the Bisquick batter.
- Bake, the casserole for one hour or until it is browned on top and set.
Can You Freeze Chicken and Dumpling Casserole?
You can. Let it cool completely and wrap it in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and then a final layer of foil. You can freeze it for up to 4 months.
Remember to label it with the date, so you don’t keep it longer than that.
What To Serve with Chicken and Dumpling Casserole?
I like to serve this casserole with a side salad. My favorite is a tomato, cucumber, and onion salad with citrus dressing, but caesar or tossed salads work perfectly.
The acidity in the dressings balances the creaminess of the casserole perfectly.
- If you don’t have chicken stock, you can use the one left cooking the chicken breasts. Just add a couple of bouillon cubes to it.
- Don’t worry if the casserole feels a little giggly (just a little). It will set once it cools down a bit, but make sure it is mostly fixed.
- Use a whisk to mix the Bisquick and milk, but don’t worry if the mixture is not lump-free. A small amount of lumps are ok. Just mix it as thoroughly as you can.
Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
It is one of the most comforting foods I can think of. Delicious and gooey chicken filling with a warm dumpling top that melts in your mouth
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped red or orange red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups Bisquick flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the stick of butter in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and place in the oven while preheating to melt it.
- Add the shredded chicken on top of the melted butter
- Spoon the chopped veggies on top of the chicken and sprinkle the poultry seasoning and ground pepper evenly on top.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the Bisquick, milk, and salt, and pour evenly on top of the veggies.
- Whisk the cream of chicken soup and chicken stock in a small bowl until well combined and pour over the Bisquick mix. Bake for one hour or until brown and set.
Tuesday 28th of February 2023
Can you use whipping cream instead of milk
Friday 3rd of February 2023
Mine was a little soggy and still liquify. Added more time but didn’t help Much.
Wednesday 22nd of February 2023
I’m so sorry to hear this! Next time you might try adding maybe 1/2 cup less chicken broth. Not all ovens are the same.
Saturday 7th of January 2023
This recipe has too much liquid. I have baked and baked it.. it still giggles and I think it has burned on the bottom.
Saturday 25th of February 2023
I’m sorry to hear this! It has worked for me, but maybe next time try to add one cup of stock to the soup!
Tuesday 6th of December 2022
Delicious but to much butter it was greasy we’ll do a 1 /2 of butter
Tuesday 20th of December 2022
I think this is a great idea.
Wednesday 23rd of November 2022
Can I add biscuits to this?
Tuesday 20th of December 2022
Yea. You could substitute the bisquick batter for refrigerated biscuits.